Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Tightening loose motor mount

Author Tightening loose motor mount
Will Smith
Umatilla, FL

Boat Name: Jordan Rae

Model/Year: 1987 Swing

Hull No. 13848

Hailing Port: Lake Eustis (currently my driveway)
07/12/2004 7:03 PM Pacific Time

My '87 has been high and dry for a while. I am preparing it to go back into the water and noticed that the motor mount is loose. When trying to tighten it the big slotted screws just turn but whatever is on the other side is also turning. I can't find the backside of these. How do I tighten this so I don't lose the motor one day?
Thanks.
Will Smith
Central FL
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/12/2004 8:35 PM Pacific Time

If the motor mount is on the port side, the nuts are accessible by crawling into the space behind the port dining seat. If the screws are turning, I expect you have lost the water tight seal. I'd recommend removing the screws, rebedding the the motor mount, and then tighten it by keeping the screw heads from moving and turning the inside nuts. (tighten only slightly, let the bedding compound set, then tighten the rest of the way a day later.)
Will Smith
Umatilla, FL

Boat Name: Jordan Rae

Model/Year: 1987 Swing

Hull No. 13848

Hailing Port: Lake Eustis (currently my driveway)
07/17/2004 7:26 AM Pacific Time

Mike--
What kind of compound do you suggest? 5200 or some type of silicone?
Thanks,
Will
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/17/2004 8:23 AM Pacific Time

I'd use 4200 or LifeCaulk. 5200 is for something you never want to take off again.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Tightening loose motor mount