Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / 150% Genoa on "older" C-22s

Author 150% Genoa on "older" C-22s
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Boat Name: Princess

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11333

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
07/14/2004 6:51 AM Pacific Time

I am in the middle of purchasing a 1986 C-22 that I want to race. I understand that the bow was not strong enough to support a 150% Genoa on older boats and has to be fortified. My questions - Did Catalina correct this and in what year? Also, exactly what has to be done to strengthen the bow?
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
07/14/2004 11:30 AM Pacific Time

If your C22 is from 1986 it should be classified as a "newer" one. I have one from March, 1986 which came with 150% genoa. I don't have and I don't think I need any reinforsement to my boat's bow to carry such a large head sail. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Spirit #13485
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/14/2004 3:01 PM Pacific Time

Buff, if your 1986 has a metal tang down the front of the bow below the plate for the forestay attachment, you already have the reinforcement needed. I've been out with my 1986 in very strong winds with my 150 many times, and have had no problems.
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
07/15/2004 10:16 AM Pacific Time

While additional reinforcing may not be needed for the 150, if you install an adjustable backstay it is a good idea to add a little reinforcement for the stem fitting on the bow. Tension on the adjustable backstay put a great load on the bow stem fitting when you yank on it to bend the mast and put extra tension in the forestay to limit it's sag with a 150 leading the way in stiff breeze.

Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Hull No. 11333

07/15/2004 11:31 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the help. The boat does have an adjustable backstay so I should make sure the bow and forestay stem are reinforced. Now for the second part of my question...how do you do it? After looking at the photos from previous Nationals where most of the boats are from the 1970's, there is no outward sign of reinforcement, so I assume it is all done from below.

Has anyone actually done the reinforcement?

Buff
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/15/2004 1:04 PM Pacific Time

Buff - According to the Catalina Direct Owners' handbook (if you don't have one, get one) the boats produced after 1983 have a stainless tang added to the stem fitting that extends down the stem of the boat . It is thru bolted and provides plenty of support for the stem fitting. When I retrofitted my 1976 boat, I actually cut a hole in the deck to put the fitting on so that the original holes in the deck lined up with the new fitting. If you don't have one, the boat is probably older than 1983.
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Hull No. 11333

07/15/2004 2:56 PM Pacific Time

Thanks, Dick, that is exactly the information I needed to know. I have not taken possession of the boat yet and if the Catalina Direct manual is not included, I will get one. I am a C-Scow skipper from the mid-west retiring to Scottsdale and the biggest one-design fleet at Lake Pleasant is the C-22's. I originally felt like I was trading in my sports car for the family sedan, but I have learned by crewing on the C-22 that the fun is in the race, not necessarily the speed of the boat. The next step will be to get it tuned and a new set of sails, then figure out how to make it go fast.

Thanks again for your help.
Jim Johnstone
Austin, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Travis, TX
07/15/2004 5:54 PM Pacific Time

On older C 22's you can look behind the inspestion cover at the foreward end of the V berth, just below the deck. If you see a turnbuckle from the deck down to the towing eye, that is the "inside" reinforcement for the 150% jib.

Greg Nelson
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,AZ

Boat Name: SOBB TOO

Model/Year: 1975/6

Hull No. 5953

Hailing Port: Deale, MD
07/15/2004 8:26 PM Pacific Time

Buff, tell me more about thje C-22 fleet at Lake Pleasant. The only time I was there the "Beware of high winds" signs scared me off before I learned asnything.
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Hull No. 11333

07/16/2004 5:25 AM Pacific Time

Peter, the "high winds" mostly occur in the monsoon season of August. Generally the wind are light, even too light. The Arizona Yacht Club is very active in both racing (5 fleets) and cruising. I have only participated in the racing. All the information you need is at www.arizonayachtclub.org.
Greg Nelson
Rose Haven, MD/Oro Valley,AZ

Boat Name: SOBB TOO

Model/Year: 1975/6

Hull No. 5953

Hailing Port: Deale, MD
07/19/2004 8:28 PM Pacific Time

Buff, Thanks foir the info. I'll follow up.
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
07/20/2004 10:19 AM Pacific Time

Remember to check the wench eye on the bow. If it is a single bolt through the bow, you will need to replace the eye before installing the stem fitting reinforcing kit. The newer boats have a "U" shaped eye.
Arno Marcuse
Chandler, Az

Boat Name: Baltic Son

Model/Year: C-22 1984

Hull No. 12004

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant
08/14/2004 9:11 AM Pacific Time

Hi Buff ! Y
Yikes! Your joining the C-22 Racing Fleet? I learned more from you in one weekend race than ever before... Good luck with the !50 G.. Sounds like your given good advice. Suggestion... reduce tension by dragging your anchor when flying the Geneo.. ha ha ... see you on the lake...
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Hull No. 11333

08/14/2004 11:35 AM Pacific Time

Arno:

Good to hear from you. I will not be racing until the Spring Series, when I move to AZ permanently. I have learned much from this forum since this first message, and I purchased the Catalina Direct Owner's Handbook. As it turns out, the boat is really a 1982 (sail#11333). Current owner (last 10 years) is not a racer, but the previous owner must have been, since the boat has the reinforced bow, adjustable backstay, and inboard fairleads. It is a very clean boat and trailer and a new set of Gus sails should make it competitive. Gus sails are well represented by top finishers at Nationals and they are fairly priced. The boat should be at Lake Pleasant by October, but I will have no time to sail it. My shakedown cruise will be to the starting line in February. I have a lot to learn having never raced a keel boat before.

See you on the lake.

Buff
Arno Marcuse
Chandler, Az

Boat Name: Baltic Son

Model/Year: C-22 1984

Hull No. 12004

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant
08/15/2004 8:12 AM Pacific Time

Hi Buff,
See you in the spring.. Gus Sails? Who is the distributor. I just looked on the Net with no clear pointer. I have been working on the boat all summer. ( to hot to sail). Just installed inside Genoa tracks.. Catalina direct has done me well with excellent service for the price. Got a new traveller, too . A laundry list of maintenance items has been addressed...I was planning on new sails but a major budget hit is taken place by a family sailing charter ( nothing but guys, cousins and uncles.) around the BVI's in later october. Maybe a Blue Bird commissions payment will rescue me.. So take care, look forward to seeing you on the lake. Arno

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/15/2004 8:51 PM Pacific Time

Gus Sails is in Rockwall, Texas. Good guy to do business with but BUSY.
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Hull No. 11333

08/16/2004 7:17 AM Pacific Time

From what I gather this is Bill Draheim's company and Gus is the name of his dog. If so, Bill is an excellent Flying Scot sailor and winner of the Championship of Champions in 2002. I was quoted $695 for a light air 150% Genoa and $595 for a Dacron mainsail including insignia and numbers plus $30 delivery, and I think he said 4-6 weeks delivery.

Sounds like a deal to me after paying $1300 for a single C-Scow sail from North (216 sq.ft.).
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/17/2004 5:44 AM Pacific Time

I have a Gus mainsail and am very happy with it. I only have one complaint. The sail cloth is very hard. (Highly resinated). When it luffs, it makes so much noise, you can't hear yourself think. Also mine came without a flattening reef. Bill doesn't think they are necessary.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / 150% Genoa on "older" C-22s