Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Replacing Standing Rigging and Halyards

Author Replacing Standing Rigging and Halyards
Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
07/19/2004 7:20 AM Pacific Time

Over the weekend, I noticed that my Forestay was starting to fray, and I have decided to replace all the stays. I also plan to buy the standing rigging kit from CD. I was wondering whether (a) there are any special tools required to replace the standing rigging; and How difficult it is to replace the standing rigging (e.g 2 hour job, all day job, etc.

I was also going to replace my wire/rope halyards with rope halyards.

How much line should I buy for each Halyard? and

What Diameter line should I purchase?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Vic
Summer Zamboni #131200
Steve Morgan
Bayport , NY

Boat Name: no name yet

Model/Year: 1988 wing keel

Hull No. #14444

Hailing Port: Bayport NY
07/19/2004 4:41 PM Pacific Time

I did the CD kit last year. Really easy. Just change them one by one. A pair of pliers to hold the shroud and a screwdriver as a lever to turn the turnbuckles did the trick for me. I also changed my internal halyards. I am pretty sure I used 65' of 5/16....but others here can confirm that as well.
Jack Chevrette
7 Brookhaven Point Montgomery TX 77356

Boat Name: Renaissance

Model/Year: 1985 Catalina 30

Hull No. 4217

Hailing Port: Walden Marina, Lake Conroe, TX
01/11/2005 4:01 AM Pacific Time

This is my first time using this site.
My main halyard is getting very hard to pull up.
(1985 Catalina 30, Tall mast)
There seems to be extra friction. My guess is that the mast head sheave is somehow broken down and needs to be replaced. Am I in the ball park? The halyard is not frayed.
From the diagram, it appears that the sheave should not be hard to replace. What tools are needed. Thanks for the help. Biggest problem is to get someone up there.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
01/11/2005 2:39 PM Pacific Time

If the sheave is attached like on at C22, there is a clevis pin going through the sheave with a cotter pin at the end. You'll need a bosun's chair and the jib halyard to haul someone to the top. It will be very easy to drop the cotter pin/new sheeve/clevis pin/pliers. I'd suggest bringing 2 of each up the mast.

Good luck!
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
01/12/2005 2:53 AM Pacific Time

Jack, I don't know about "getting someone up there" -- I replaced my sheaves with the mast down, and I'm not sure a C22 mast (sitting on the deck and not stepped to the keel as in larger boats) is intended to support the additional weight of hauling someone to the top in a boswain's chair.

One simple-yet-obvious trick I learned (the hard way!) is to twist the mast horizontal to the ground (eg., spreaders up and down) before beginning to replace the sheaves.

See: http://www.chipford.com/chip_ahoy_9.htm

Otherwise, you must wrestle maddeningly with too many loose parts that all must be perfectly aligned before you can put the clevis pin all the way through everything. The first time I did this, I had the mast set vertically on sawhorses (spreaders horzontal to the ground, as the mast had been rested); getting the pin, sheaves, and separator bar all aligned without something falling out was near-impossible. What should have taken maybe 20 minutes, half-hour tops, ended up taken well over an hour of fustration and multiple attempts. It took about 20 minutes the second time I did it, the right way I note here.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Catalina 22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com

Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
01/12/2005 2:58 AM Pacific Time

As far as "getting someone up there," it just dawned on me: how are you going to hoist a boswain's chair to the top of the mast if the purpose of getting up there is to replace the halyard sheaves ?!?

You'll need a sky-hook!

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Catalina 22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
01/12/2005 6:34 AM Pacific Time

Chip, I think it is a Cat30 not a Cat22. As for going up he said the main was bad not the jib. He also, might have a Spinnaker halyard, so it is common to change them out one at time. I would suggest, if it is your first ime up a mast that you put everything in a cloth bucket, if you can find one. The most important thing in a bo'sons chair is that the seat be made of wood as a spreader, cloth seats are very uncomfortable for more than a quick trip up and down. Take another line up with you so that you can have 'messanger' to get what you for got. It will probably take two people on deck. Have them cleat you off, before you let go and start working, then have them stand clear incase you drop something. It is a thrill, in a way. In my younger days with only one person on deck, I have climbed most of the way to make it easy on the man below. You don't want to wear them out either, they would just pull the chair up and then I could rest before and during making the climb between spreaders. Grinding a 200 lb man all the way up is tough. By the way you can do it on C22, we had to replace a spin halyard once, and I've seen others up the mast at regattas.
For what it's worth, Al Ge
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
01/12/2005 6:55 AM Pacific Time

Jack, is your halyard the older wire/rope combination or an all-rope halyard?

I had a problem with my wire/rope halyards this year, in which the halyards came off the sheaves and became crossed at the masthead. I had let them go slack while hoisting in heavy seas, and the problems noted below allowed them to cross.

When I dropped the mast for the season, I found that the sheaves were chipped, plus the PO had replaced the sheaves, but not the divider plate that goes between the main and jib halyards. Chip Ford was kind enough to send me a spare plate he had kicking around (thanks again, Chip!).

All this may be irrelevant on a C-30, but just thought I'd bring it to your attention as a possibility.

Chip Lee
Colin Abbey
Penticton, British Columbia

Boat Name: Will o' The Wisp

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. 8276

Hailing Port: Penticton
04/03/2006 6:18 PM Pacific Time

I am replacing the wire/line halyards on my '78 22 with all line. Is it feasible to utilize the existing sheaves and what size line should I be able to use, 5/16?
I would really appreciate any advice on this. Thanks in advance.
Colin
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
04/03/2006 7:43 PM Pacific Time

I think 1/4 or 5/16 would be fine. I recommend that you feel any line you buy. I bought some name brand higher tech 1/4" line over the internet, and I don't like the feel of it. It is stiff and hard on the hands. I'm thankful it was for a halyard (raise once per sail) and not a jib sheet.
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
04/04/2006 2:55 PM Pacific Time

I am in the process of replaceing mine as well. I will be using 1/4 inch line and will replace the sheves. The original sheaves tend to get brittle over time and were made for wire but not wide enough for line. I feel as long as you are going to do the job, you might as well replace everything you can so you wont have to do it in the future.
Colin Abbey
Penticton, British Columbia

Boat Name: Will o' The Wisp

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. 8276

Hailing Port: Penticton
04/04/2006 7:22 PM Pacific Time

Thanks all for the input:
After giving it some thought, I have ordered new sheaves from CD
and will replace the old ones. I think it will be worth it for peace of
mind if nothing else. The new sheaves accomodate 1/4" line.
Thanks again, Colin
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
04/05/2006 10:50 AM Pacific Time

If your masthead is like others I have seen (for your sized boat --30') there are sheaves with pins running thru them. If the sheaves are original, yes, it is time to replace them. The sheaves on my 22' were original (1987) and were basically trash. When you get ready to replace, make sure you pull up the halyard and tie it off. Other wise there is too much pressure on the sheave and you will not be able to pull the pin out. BTW, the pin may be frozen in the assembly, which is why you are having problems. They do need to be lubed every year or so. You will find out for sure once you can get tarzan up the mast.

Good luck

BTW, while you got a guy up there, check the antenna's etc

Bill Bell
#13784 Phoenix
cat-22 sk
FL
Chris Coombs
Deerfield NH

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: '74 Catalina 22

Hull No. 2313

Hailing Port: Deerfield NH
09/12/2007 6:50 PM Pacific Time

I just bought Catalina 22 #2313. Anyone know anything about her?
I have completely restored her, and lack one part. CatDirect doesn't have it, and neither does Chris Diaz at Catalina.
I need a chainplate Eyebolt, with a 3/8" threaded bolt end. The new ones are 1/2", and I would like to keep her as authentic as possible.
Anyone out there got one?
Frederick R. Dent III
Shalimar, Florida

Boat Name: Break Wind

Model/Year: Catalina Capri 22/1973

Hull No. OHZ14419L273 Sail # 3000

Hailing Port: Shalimar, FL
06/28/2009 7:21 AM Pacific Time

I need to replace my forestay on my 1973 Catalina 22. I have purchased the cable but need to swege both ends. I want to know the standard length of the forestay and will adjust for the fix at both ends using a turnbuckle.
I have been unable to find this dimension anywhere.
Alan
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: My Turn

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. C14805

Hailing Port: Charlotte
09/12/2010 7:02 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1984 Catalina 22 and the standing rigging sheaves are cracked/broken on the Deck Organizer and also the Blocks at the base of the mast. The halyards are external to the mast (they don't thread through the mast), and they thread through 2, 2-sheave blocks at the base of the mast.

I would love to be able to order exact matching equipment, so that I don't have any cosmetic issues form mis-matched parts. Does anyone know where I can order this equipment?

I tried CatalinaDirect. They do have 3 sheave Deck organizers (but they don't match the original footprint) but they don't have the 2 sheave turning Blocks which mount in the deck at the base of the mast. Does anyone know where I could find something like this?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
09/13/2010 3:57 AM Pacific Time

Try Garhauer. They made a lot of the parts that are on our boats.
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
09/13/2010 7:08 AM Pacific Time

Chris Coombs Wrote: "I need a chainplate Eyebolt, with a 3/8" threaded bolt end. The new ones are 1/2", and I would like to keep her as authentic as possible.
Anyone out there got one?"

Chris, I would recommend switching to the newer 1/2 inch chainplate bolts. The 3/8 bolts are prone to breaking & if they do the chances are your mast will be destroyed (or need structural repair). It's unlikely you will find new ones. If you really want the old 3/8 bolts, I have several used ones & will send you one or two for the cost of shipping. I would pay to have them checked for cracks before using them.

Erv Zimmerman
Adventuring C-22SK #1787
Anchor Bay Shores, Lake St. Clair, MI
Email: [email protected]
Tel:
Home: (586) 949-3527
Cell: (586) 819-7078

http://www.fleet130.org/
Steven Shotola
Port St. Lucie

Boat Name: Bohemian Sailor

Model/Year: Catalina 27

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Fort Pierce
07/24/2020 10:40 AM Pacific Time

I have a broken forestay on a Catalina 27 sailboat. 1981. All other stays are fine. The aft stay is loose because of no tension from the forestay. Is it safe to be lifted up a boson chair to replace the fore stay and hardware?
Roy Hutcheson
Huntsville AL

Boat Name: Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel

Hull No. 1341

Hailing Port:
07/24/2020 10:40 AM Pacific Time

I have a broken forestay on a Catalina 27 sailboat. 1981. All other stays are fine. The aft stay is loose because of no tension from the forestay. Is it safe to be lifted up a boson chair to replace the fore stay and hardware?

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Replacing Standing Rigging and Halyards