Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Time to launch/recover

Author Time to launch/recover
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
07/23/2004 3:27 PM Pacific Time

Hey Gang,

If your C22 is ready to launch, at the top of the ramp, how long does it take you to launch it?

Reverse, how long to get it back on and out of the water?

Garrett
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/23/2004 4:58 PM Pacific Time

Garrett, it sounds like you are asking for trailer ingress/egress time rather than rigging time.

My friend usually backs the trailer in while I'm on the boat. We stop when the motor is deep enough, and start the motor. Once it is running steady (15 seconds?), he backs in more, and when the boat starts to float, I put the motor in reverse and drive off. A couple of minutes tops.

For pulling the boat out, I installed side poles on the trailer. This allows us to line up right the first time. I pull into the trailer, hook on the bow rope, crank the boat to the bow pad, and we slowly pull it out of the water. Probably about 7 minutes normally.

Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
07/24/2004 6:43 AM Pacific Time

Garrett, we have a bunk trailer with no rollers. On our home ramp, which is fairly steep, my wife takes the bow and sternlines together and stands on the dock next to the ramp. I unhook the winch cable and back in 'til she floats. Then MaryAnn just walks her back while standing on the dock, pulling on the bow line and just keeping enough tension on the stern line to keep the stern from swinging away from the dock. Takes about a minute.

Recovering takes 2-10 minutes, depending on crosswinds. MaryAnn walks the boat back onto the bunks. I wade in, hook the cable to the bow eye, line up the swing keel on its cradle (the hardest part) and crank her up the last two feet. This would be a lot quicker if we had guides like Michael, but I haven't gotten 'round to it yet.

On unfamiliar ramps that are uneven or shallow, it takes longer, because we don't know the best side of the ramp to drive onto, or how far to back up before she floats. Perhaps this is why you're asking, because the ramp you use sucks?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/24/2004 9:12 AM Pacific Time

Hi Folks, if you are having trouble lining up the keel, I think my addition to a professionally built trailer may help. When I got the boat and trailer it had iron angles slooped to the middle, these provided the force to center the boat as it came out of the water. After noting the scares on the keel from this, I took a couple of 2x12's and 'padded' the angles and in hanced the centering function by making them curved. The outide edges are less slooped than the iron angles, and thenmore steep as they get to the center. With this arrangement it only required the bow hook to be cranked up and the boat will center even in a modest cross wind by pulling out slowly.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
07/25/2004 6:39 PM Pacific Time

Hey Al, that's sounds like a neat piece of work for not much money. Would you have a digital picture of it you could share?

Chip
Nick
Jamestown, Rhode Island

Boat Name: Morning Glory

Model/Year: C-22 ,1983

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/09/2009 4:58 AM Pacific Time

Please lend some advise. We are thinking of trailer sailing this year rather then mooring our boat, yes it is the economy!

I am interested in purchasing the quick releases for the rigging to speed up the process. Does anyone have experience with using the quick release and what else can speed the launching. My crew has limited time on the weekends and long rigging & launching may result in a mutiny!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Pat Lindsay
Huntsville, AL

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. 11735

Hailing Port: Lake Guntersville, Al
05/09/2009 6:14 AM Pacific Time

Nick, a 'quick release' is good to have. I use a clevis pin with a spring-loaded toggle on the forestay and the two forward shrouds. When I raise the mast, my gin pole has the jib halyard attached from above and the trailer-winch strap from below. I keep tension on this rig to give me enough slack to pin the headstay and the forward shrouds. With the tension already set on the shrouds using the Loos tension gauge, I don't have to take time to tune the rig.

That said, the whole process of rigging and launching still takes about an hour because I have to set up the mast-crutch/gin-pole assembly, free the various lines from potential tangles, raise the mast, pin the rigging, etc. prior to launch. Once launched, I must then hang the boom, attach the mainsheets hardware, hank on the headsail, run the sheets, attach halyards to the sails, hang the rudder/tiller assembly, etc. No matter what, these things take some time. You might be able to do things faster with several crew available, but it's not like rigging a dinghy.

Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
05/10/2009 10:56 AM Pacific Time

Hey Nick,

We look at the price of a slip each year and the answer is always the same. Way too much money. We are inland sailors on Carlyle Lake in Southern Illinois and our marina offers "shore storage" You can rig your boat and have it ready to go then just hook on and pull it to the ramp to put her on the water. Where a slip cost nearly $2500 I only pay $100/month for shore storage and then only the months that the boat is in use. Check with your marina to see if they offer similar services.

Greg
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
05/10/2009 11:36 PM Pacific Time

the time depends on you familiarity with the ramp, how your boat sits on the trailer and whether you have built in guides as explained before, and whether there are people "in the way" where you are launching. i have yet not been able to launch or retrieve my c22 by myself. but having an extra hand, even if you borrow it from someone on the ramp or dock is always nice. launching, i don't get my feet wet, but recovering, depending on the angle of the ramp sometime requires it. this winter at lake pleasant in az i crewed for peter on his winged keel capri 22. to retrieve the boat, i stayed on the boat and when he was in place with the car/trailer backed in, i just drove it on to the trailer. peter would have on a set of fishing waders and be at the winch and clip on the strap to the bow eye, lock it down, jump in the car and away we would go. to drive my c22 onto a trailer (did it at the c22 nationals in 2000 at san diego) i have to remove my fixed rudder and just use the motor (5hp nissan). in all i would say once your at the ramp ready to launch it doesn't take more that 5 minutes. now to rig the boat that's a different story but is much easier if the person who put it away is the person who rigs it to launch. some people just get the necessary (motor, rudder & tiller set up) and splash it thinking they can do the running rigging and sails after they get into the water. bad idea as learned from experience, especially if the motor craps out, the rudder hits bottom on launching or there is anyother kind of failure. turns into a circus atmosphere at the ramp then.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Time to launch/recover