Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Boom end fitting?

Author Boom end fitting?
Russ B
Sherman, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/25/2004 10:23 PM Pacific Time

How is the aluminum casting at the forward end of the boom supposed to attach to the boom tubing? I am looking at a used C-22 for sale and the boom and the end casting are attached together with a thick piece of copper wire...obviously not how it's supposed to be, but before I pop-rivet it together I want to check to see how it SHOULD be attached.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
07/25/2004 11:28 PM Pacific Time

Mine is drilled and tapped. I considered pop riveting but I've already had to pull the gooseneck off a couple times to get at the innards of the boom. My vote is to drill and tap into the aluminum casting.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/26/2004 5:40 AM Pacific Time

Russ - The forward end cap extends about an inch into the forward end of the boom extrusion. On Jagged Edge, it is held in place by a machine screw on each side of the boom. The screws are threaded into tapped holes in the end cap. I tried to remove the screws on the boom from a previous boat and had to drill them out, as galvanic corrosion had welded the stainless screws to the aluminum end cap. I think aluminum rivets would be sufficient to hole the cap in place.
Jim Bailey
Hesperia, California

Boat Name: Sailing Free

Model/Year: C-22 1973

Hull No. 2371

Hailing Port: Dana Point, California
12/16/2005 4:16 PM Pacific Time

The forward boom end (mast end) has one 'ear' broken off at the center of the eye hole just forward of the tapped mounting holes. Are these boom end replaceable? If so where would I be able to locate one? Or, is it possible to have the cast aluminum repaired?

Thanks In Advance For Your Help
Jim Bailey
Sailing Free #2371
Hesperia, California.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
12/16/2005 5:38 PM Pacific Time

Catalina Direct Sells the Gooseneck Casting for $29.95 (Part D1153). For those of you who haven't tried the online catalog, click the blue search button above, click "Catalina 22", and type in the part you need ("Gooseneck" in this case), and hit "Go". Click on the gooseneck casting, and you get a picture and description.

Lowell and company have done a nice job of transitioning from hard copy to the internet catalog. I'd still recommend getting the hardcopy handbook though. Its good browsing, and has lots of useful information other than just parts.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Boom end fitting?