Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Pamlico Sound & Albemarle Sound, NC

Author Pamlico Sound & Albemarle Sound, NC
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
07/28/2004 12:22 PM Pacific Time

Has anybody cruised either of these sounds lately in a Catalina 22? It is one of my dreams to do that but I hear mixed views on the sea state, the water quality etc. One cruising guide said the intercoastal at the mouth of the Neuse River was one of the most treacherous streaches along the east coast. I sure would like to hear from someone who has done it.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
07/29/2004 8:54 AM Pacific Time

I have not done either location in a C-22, but I have seen 24's and 26's traverse those areas under varying conditions.

This past spring Coming north from Florida we crossed the Albemarle from the Aligator to the Pasquotank River in 10 to 12 knot north east winds. If it were me in my C-22 I would not wat to be there. Waves were 3 ft. The locals say that any wind in excess of 5 knots with a North or East component makes for rough waters.

Last winter heading south the Neusse River had 2 ft. waves with 12 knot winds out of the northeast. The feel of the Neusse was quite different than the Albemarle. The Neusse seemed to have much longer period swells, and as a result was much more comfortable. The most uncomfortable part of the ride was right at the junction of the Bay and Neusse Rivers.

Certainly putting in at the head of the Albemarle around Edenton NC with a weather-eye out would make the Albemarle much easier than trying to go from Elizabeth City or Coinjock.

Putting in at Oriental, either at the town or Whitaker Creek, is the best place to try the Neuss River area.

All in all with the right wind conditions either place would be great. Just be aware of northeast winds.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
07/29/2004 10:21 AM Pacific Time

R. C.
Thanks for the advice. I would probably put in at Oriental as I have been there and done some local sailing on the Neuse but I never ventured far and I was on a 32 Ft Pierson keel boat.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
12/07/2010 10:37 AM Pacific Time

Has anyone cruised this area since the last post? We have a couple of boats that may be going to this area for a week cruise in 2011. We will probaby start in Oriental also.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Pamlico Sound & Albemarle Sound, NC