Leaky Windows

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Stanchons Leaking

Author Stanchons Leaking
Steve Baker
Fort Worth, TX

Boat Name: Stella Luna

Model/Year: 27 1977

Hull No. 3330

Hailing Port: Fort Worth
07/29/2004 5:56 PM Pacific Time

I have done the CD window fix. Now the stancheons are leaking. I bought the kits but getting the backing plates inside the hull in the cabin is a trick.

I am about to remove the wood trim to see if that gives me enough room to slide the backing plate up and in.

Any Suggestions?
Hans Schweikert
Perkiomenville, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/ 1981

Hull No. 10197

Hailing Port: Lake Nockamixon
10/25/2012 1:19 PM Pacific Time

Any suggestions? I am about to tackle this task. Thanks
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
10/26/2012 11:34 PM Pacific Time

Yes you have to remove the interior wood trim if you have it. If your backing plates are too large, try using an oversized fender washer. Also I highly prefer butyl tape for cauling vs. the liquid products. Lots less /cleanup and haven't had any problem with sealing and leaking since using this product.
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
11/02/2012 4:49 AM Pacific Time

I haven't worked on the stanchons, since I don't have any, and the mounting points haven't leaked - yet. But I second Lynns comment about using butyl tape. It works extreamly well in compression areas not under constant movement - like stanchons. If the deck in that area is cored, drill oversized decks bolt holes, fill with thickend epoxy and redrill the proper bolt hole size. Google around for detailed instructions on this method if necessary.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
11/02/2012 11:12 PM Pacific Time

Don Casey's books are great resources for working on your boat. He spells out exactly how you go about each process.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
12/07/2012 2:26 AM Pacific Time

Bilgeboy is correct! oversize the holes and redrill to seal your core material. I suggest using 3M 4200. Work fast and do not touch once the position is set and the proper torque is set. Do not over tighten and do not move the joint once installed so the 4200 can set and seal.

Leaky Windows
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Stanchons Leaking