Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Explaination of the 22 racing fleets

Author Explaination of the 22 racing fleets
Frank Hopper
KS

Boat Name: FellowShip

Model/Year: 1982 Catalina 25

Hull No. 2790

Hailing Port: Cheney Lake KS
08/04/2004 7:26 PM Pacific Time

I am looking for wisdom. I am a 25 sailor and am searching for a better way for our Nationals to be organized. We have keel and rig differences as well as spinnaker and non spinnaker boats. Currently we handicap spinnaker boats of the same rig against non-spinnaker boats of the same rig and ignore keels. It seems odd to me because spinnaker boats often have much better crews than non-spinnaker boats. What do you do? What is a gold, silver, etc fleet?

Thanks for being willing to help.
Frank Hopper
Fleet 95 Captain
Mainsheet, Catalina 25 Technical Editor
Jan P.
Grapevine, TX

Boat Name: Being Time

Model/Year: 1974 C22 Poptop/swing keel

Hull No. 4244

Hailing Port: Grapevine
03/10/2005 8:05 PM Pacific Time

I think they race the spins in a separate fleet. Silver fleet is for beginning racers (those who haven't won One Design racing at regional/national level).

You can find out more by looking up the c22national.org site, and see the divisions for the national regatta coming up in June in Canyon Lake Texas.... :)

Planning on being there -- this being my first. You can also look up the rules in terms of how they classify the boats. I believe they ignore keels as well.

In club racing we race in a PHRF handicap setting in Genoa 2 (boats 27' feet or less), and there isn't a silver fleet for beginners (although that might be a good idea). Spinnaker boats are in their own classes, and so are genoa boats. There are also one design classes within certain fleets (like J80s, J24's, J22's, and Catalina 22s within their respective fleets -- spinnaker 1,2 or 3, and Genoa 1 or 2.)

Hope that's helpful.

Jan

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/12/2005 5:28 AM Pacific Time

The Gold and Silver fleet normal race at the same time, the biggest difference is that Silver fleet skippers are either new to racing or to racing their own boat. Once a Silver Fleet Skipper wins a, I believe, State, Regional, or National Regatta he/she must race in the Gold fleet from then on out. The Spinnaker Fleet is either raced on a different day or in the mornings, thus many racers race in both spinnaker fleet and Gold fleet.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
03/26/2005 8:39 AM Pacific Time

Ahoy, no-name... the C22 ODR require the boat be driven by a boat owner of a member of their family in both gold and silver flleets.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/26/2005 1:52 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for clearing that up for them Bob. I guess I should have gone into that part of the ODR. See you in Talahoma TN!
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
03/27/2005 4:54 AM Pacific Time

GREAT! A fun place to race.

I

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Explaination of the 22 racing fleets