Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Mainsail Glides/Slugs

Author Mainsail Glides/Slugs
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
08/21/2004 8:09 PM Pacific Time

Hey Gang,

New owner here, just curious (Since I have not yet rigged sails), 1974 C22, the mast has a slot (of course) and a wide area to put in the gooseneck and MS slugs/glides. When raising the sail, what keeps them from falling out as the sail goes up (since the gooseneck and such is below this wide area)?

I am just reading and curious...

Garrett
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
08/22/2004 1:24 AM Pacific Time

The slides can be held in the slot when raising the sail by using mast gates made from metal carpet edging or other material. See http://www.catalina22.org/techtips/mastgate.htm for details.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
08/22/2004 7:17 AM Pacific Time

Garrett:
If you are going to trailer your boat a lot and end up taking your mainsail off the boat frequently you may want to purchase a "Track Stop". They are sold by West Marine for less than $10. They can be found on page 1062 of the 2004 West Marine Master Catalog. Model # 108332. I have been using them for years and they work very well. I also have one in the track below the gooseneck so that I can easily adjust the boom heigth when the sail is not up.
Philip

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Mainsail Glides/Slugs