Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Older roller furling

Author Older roller furling
Terry Keasler
Tallahassee, FL

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/23/2004 11:17 AM Pacific Time

Greetings to all! I am a new member of this forum as well as a proud new owner of a 1987 Catalina 22. I am also new to sailing but my wife and I are looking forward to the adventure of learning.

My question is with respect to the rollrer furling. The previous owner indicated that the furler is of 1987 vintage and that it did not work the same as a modern one. In fact, the 150 genoa is an all or nothing deal where the sail is completely rolled up or completely out...nothing in between. This seems to defeat the purpose of a roller furling even in 1987. Did this fellow simply not know how to operate the equipment or is this really the case? I have not looked closely at the furler yet to see the brand or model but any thoughts anyone has would be appreciated.
Thanks
Terry
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/23/2004 2:14 PM Pacific Time

There is roller furling (designed to store the sail and deploy it without having to go on the foredeck), and roller reefing (can furl or stop with the sail partially retracted, ie reefed).

The previous owner is probably right in his description. If you only have 1 sail, roller furling is still more convenient than hank on sails (which generally can't be reefed either).
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/24/2004 6:00 AM Pacific Time

Terry - Michael hit it on the head. A furler is a furler. It is designed to store the rolled up sail, rather than reefing it. A genoa is normally built with some camber in the sail shape. When you try to wind the leech and foot onto a straight line (the furler) that shape is altered and middle of the sail becomes distorted. You can sail with a partially rolled up sail, but the sail shape is very ineffcient. If the device you are using has a foam pad on it. the foam compresses on the part where the foot and leech are rolled but not where the center part of the sail is rolled. The foam helps maintain the sail shape. This device allows the sail area to be reduced without compromising the shape. These are roller reefing devices.
Terry Keasler
Tallahassee, FL

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/24/2004 8:07 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure this will not be the only newbie question I ask so please bear with me. I figure everyone had to start somewhere.

Michael, your comment about the furler being more convenient if I only have one sail makes perfect sense. However, I also have a 110 hank on sail. A roller reefing system would be nice but I'm not sure I want that expense just yet. Is it possible to sew hanks on the 150 or is that a really bad idea? I'm just looking for the most versatility without spending big bucks.

Thanks for your patients
Terry
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
08/24/2004 5:33 PM Pacific Time

Terry, if you're looking for an interim solution, you can do what I did and buy a used hank-on "jenny" from one of these kind folks. I'm sure you can find a reasonable one here if you post a request. The you can have your furling jenny refitted to a new reefer/furler later.

I bought a used 150 just last week on this site, and enjoyed the increased light air performance for the first time last night. What a difference from my old 110!!

Chip Lee

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Older roller furling