Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Newbie Overnighting Questions

Author Newbie Overnighting Questions
Joe Claunch
Arlington, TX

Boat Name: Breakaway

Model/Year: C22 1987

Hull No. 14108

Hailing Port: Lynn Creek Marina
08/24/2004 5:51 AM Pacific Time

I've had my C22 less than a year and I want to do some overnighting/cruising. Here are my questions:

1. After anchoring should I raise the keel or leave it down?
2. When anchored, should I have a watch system where someone is on deck all night or just go to sleep?
3. Are permits required for spending the night on a lake (like they are for camping)?

Thanks, Joe
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
08/25/2004 5:20 AM Pacific Time

Joe, these are just my opinions, but

1) I prefer the keel down at anchor, because the boat doesn't roll as much when waves/boat wakes hit her. Also, she doesn't seem to "sail", or go back and forth on her anchor rode, which probably means the anchor has a better chance of holding (two anchors are always better for insurance, by the way).

2) Never, ever anchor near a much-used channel, especially one for commercial traffic or one that night fisherman use frequently! Pick a sheltered, out-of -the-way anchorage, then hang a reliable anchor light. I use the jib halyard to hang a 360 degree battery lantern, and a piece of line to secure it to a mast cleat. If you pick a spot that has all of the above, including the anticipated wind shifts, you should all be able to get a good night's sleep. If you can't guarantee you're protected from traffic, a dragging anchor, or predictable winds, then someone should probably stay in the cockpit. But I've only had to do that twice in 35 years, so it's usually very possible to set yourself up for a good night's sleep.

3) On larger lakes, like the Great Lakes, there are few regulated harbors. On smaller lakes, permits may be required, but I don't know much about those. I read an article in Sail once where a couple sailed a lake near Seattle which prohibited overnight anchorage. Maybe there are lots of these - I just don't know. If there is a yacht club, marina or Coast Guard Auxilliary on the lake you're going to, I'm sure they could tell you.

Good luck and have fun!

Chip Lee
Joe Claunch
Arlington, TX

Boat Name: Breakaway

Model/Year: C22 1987

Hull No. 14108

Hailing Port: Lynn Creek Marina
08/25/2004 5:46 AM Pacific Time

Thanks! My yacht club used to cruise a lot in the 70s, but is now racing oriented. Some of us have decided to resurrect the cruising fleet, but are having to figure it all out for ourselves! I am also considering getting a GPS unit with the "anchor drag alarm" feature, just so I can sleep better.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
08/25/2004 6:37 AM Pacific Time

I know about a couple of lakes, reservoirs in New Englend ownded/regulated by the power companies. They have their own rules and usually don't allow for overnight stay and have number of other restrictions. Otherwise, those lakes are perfect for sailing.
-Spirit #13485
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
08/25/2004 11:20 PM Pacific Time

Joe - Just a couple of points:

You have a 'new style', which should have been shipped new with an anchor light at the masthead, so you don't need to raise anything up in the rigging.

Check to ensure your GPS 'alarm' is actually audible. I have a Garmin 12 with an alarm - but it's visual only

Make up the platform between the port and starboard bunks to give yourself a queen sized bed (with the table down)

The consensus is for the keel to be down to slow down the rolling

Has anyone considered rigging up a riding sail so the boat doesn't yaw about at anchor?

Paul
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
08/27/2004 6:19 PM Pacific Time

Joe: On the Great Lakes Cruise on Lake Ontario a couple weeks ago, there was a great couple from Bartlesville OK. They had so much fun on the cruise that they are thinking of hosting a cruise on Grand Lake in NE OK in a year or two. Keep your eyes and ears open for other C22 NSA sponsored cruises around the country. The Great Lakes Cruise is going to be in Michigan next year. We had a boat from Dallas area join us 2 years ago. Good luck with the overnights. Hope to see you on a Great Lakes Cruise in the future.

Mike
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
08/29/2004 7:52 PM Pacific Time

Mike, is the Michigan cruise going to be up on Huron?

I was your neighbor for a few months 2 years ago - got transferred up to Rochester, lived in Ray Twp. I was looking forward to moving my boat from Ontario to Port Huron when they suddenly shut down my plant. Too bad - I love Lake Ontario, but Lake Huron sure looked inviting!

If it's Lake St. Clair, though, I'll pass - you've got way too many powerboats on that body of water!

Chip Lee
Michael
Sarasota

Boat Name: Gumbo Girl

Model/Year: 1976 Cat. 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sarasota
09/07/2004 7:57 AM Pacific Time

Paul,

Regarding your suggestion about making a queen size bed, I am having problems understanding how the dinning table is supposed to "fit" to make a bed. My table seems to be too wide and too deep to lay in the grove between the two dinning seats. Is that not where it is supposed to go or do I have to turn it around or something? It could be that the table is not the original that came with the boat, but I really think that it is. Thanks.

Michael
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Hull No. 13369

09/07/2004 11:15 PM Pacific Time

Yours is the earlier model than mine, but I don't think you need to do more than unhook the table from the port side, swing up the leg and lower it into place in the grooves. Is your table a nice, shiny, solid wood one or is it cheap and nasty chipboard with formica on top. I and everyone else with a stock boat has the latter.

PS - Sounds like you came off OK with Frances up there in Sarasota.

Paul
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
09/08/2004 5:06 AM Pacific Time

While on my recent cruise up the Maine coast, I ended up spending more time than I thought I would in Portsmouth, NH along the Piscataqua River with its powerful current. I was docked at the city's Prescott Park Dock, in the first slip inside the face dock. Passing boats (the fishing fleet was tucked inside a harbor right alongside us), tugs and tankers (the Navy base was right across the river and a power plant was upriver) were passing by pretty constantly, throwing good size wakes at that cement floating face dock. On a number of occasions I was startled to see the dock rise up above Chip Ahoy's cabin top, it's mast rolling 30 or 40 degrees, violently pounding against the dock and fenders (had all four deployed).

When I made arrangements to rent a slip I was told it was very shallow there at low tide (a nine foot drop), but that with keel retracted my "three foot draft" should be fine. After watching my fishfinder the night of the vicious thunderstorms, I realized I had plenty of water beneath Chip Ahoy and fully lowered its keel. What a difference that made (along with adding another bow line pulling port, opposing the one tied off to starboard).

At my Marblehead mooring, at low tide I've only got about four feet of water beneath my boat. When I first moored there last year I left the keel fully extended -- and did not swing properly with the other boats around me. Now I fully retract it before approaching my mooring and keep it up.

For more details see:
http://chipford.com/maine_cruise.htm
Saturday, August 21, 2004
Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
Michael
Sarasota

Boat Name: Gumbo Girl

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sarasota
09/08/2004 11:49 AM Pacific Time

Paul,

I also have the latter, but I have tried lowering it into place and it just does not fit. Maybe it was replaced over the years and the part came off a later model boat. I may just end up making a new table with better wood and most certainly with a better fit. Any suggestions of the type of wood?

Thank you for asking about the hurricane. We have made it through two and have one to go.

Michael
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Hull No. 13369

09/09/2004 12:01 AM Pacific Time

Michael - Glad you asked. Check out

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/c22maint.htm

I posted a photo there of a table someone here in OZ redid. He built one using teak veneer and varnished it.

Paul

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Newbie Overnighting Questions