Mooring / Docking

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / Live-aboard anyone?

Author Live-aboard anyone?
Cedric

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: La Pointe
08/26/2004 3:01 PM Pacific Time

I recently bought a Catalina 22', with a swing keel, and intend to live on it. I wanted to know if any other brave souls have attempted this and have advice to help me succeed. Or if any brave souls have attempted this and failed horribly and wanted to tell me not to do so. Thanks!
Ced

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/26/2004 5:59 PM Pacific Time

............... and the place was so small that even the rats were hunchback.
Mathew Zanze
Sutter Creek, CA

Boat Name: Knot On Call

Model/Year: Former C-22 Now C-250

Hull No. 66

Hailing Port: Sutter Creek, California
08/26/2004 6:47 PM Pacific Time

Ditto to Ken.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
08/26/2004 6:50 PM Pacific Time

A few months a go I read about a husband and wife living on a 19' boat, both were not small people either, and get this they had been living on it for two years... so hey if they can do you can too ... go for it, you will either love it or hate it...

Good luck..
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
08/27/2004 5:35 AM Pacific Time

I just spent three weeks "living aboard" Chip Ahoy during my cruise up the Maine coast and back. If you like camping out and could live life in a small tent, go for it -- but three weeks was enough for me, and I was traveling alone and packing light.

I lived aboard for five years two decades ago, but on a 46', a 48' and a 60' -- and even those were close quarters with a couple friends!

See my Chip Ahoy website for the log and photo album of the cruise.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/27/2004 5:47 AM Pacific Time

Living anywhere is what you make it. It has inconveinences and conveinences, just like anywhere. It can be fun if you don't complain about the smallness, you are there to go sailing if and when you want. And the people in the marina who are doing the same thing will build a comradary that cannot be ignored. You will learn a lot about cruising, and do a lot too. Go for it if you have the right attitude, enjoy.
Al Ge
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Hull No. CTY032820374

08/27/2004 10:17 AM Pacific Time

Dear Philosopher Al;

Let me see if I fully comprehend your profound response to the serious question posed.

1) There are good points and there are bad points to everything.

2) Nothing's bad if you don't complain about it.

3) Nothing in life matters if you can go sailing whenever you want.

4) You will find stoic others with which to build a comradarie who are as miserable but don't complain.

5) Because you live in cramped quarters you will sail a lot.

6) Put up with it as long as you can before quitting.

Have I got it?

Question: Al, how much time have you spent for any single stretch aboard a 22' sailboat?

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.

Alan Chillers
Cocoa Beach

Boat Name: Lo" Key

Model/Year: 22 catalina/1984

Hull No. 12227

Hailing Port: Space Coast
08/27/2004 2:00 PM Pacific Time

give away or sell everything you own,creative storage is key on the boat,life is what you make it,have fun its to short.!
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Hull No. CTY032820374

08/28/2004 3:10 AM Pacific Time

Cedric in good faith asked us a really important question, and I expect he was looking for a quality answer -- not a bunch of claptrap euphorisms. He's looking to make a life decision and deserves whatever best information we can provide. Or we should butt out.

Keith, let me ask you the same question I asked Philosopher Al, paraphrased: When is the last time YOU gave away or sold everything you own to live on a 22' sailboat -- or any boat?

I've done that, twice in my life. Both times I had to buy a new TV when I got back, and replace all the other stuff too, and I did it to live on much larger boats.

How about if YOU promise to replace Cedric's stuff if he decides to follow your "advice" then determines it wasn't worth the cyberspace electrons it was written on, you know, have some skin in the game?

God, how I do love dreamers ... but not when they're messing with someone else's life.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.

Mark Dierker
Columbia, Mo

Boat Name: Norma Jean

Model/Year: c22/1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/28/2004 6:59 AM Pacific Time

As far as selling everything. I cant really say for myself. I've always stored my stuff. I have spent a summer living with what would only fit into my van, and it was the best summer I've ever had. I do however have several friends and a roomate who have given away, or sold, everything they own except what they can physically carry. And I have **NEVER** heard any of them regret loosing those posessions. They may have other regrets, but not having a TV to return to, that certainly wasnt one of them.
In fact I have always been amazed at how they can get rid of items that could NEVER be replaced... And have never regretted it. Say for example a vintage moto-guzzi in perfect condition, that was the guys pride and joy.... Once it was gone... He never regretted it. He couldnt take it with, and wasnt going to let it prevent him from doing what he wants.
Out of all posessions sure as heck dont let a TV seperate you from your dreams, I dont care even if it is a hi-def plasma with all the bells and whistles..... (sell that and buy boat stuff!)
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
08/28/2004 7:03 AM Pacific Time

Hello,

Yes, I met a fellow down at Folly Marina in Charleston who lived on a 22. Now, he mostly slept on it and cooked only sporadically.

He had a pop-top with an enclousure and also a portable AC for the summers and a small electric heater for winters. I didn't notice a tv, but don't he didn't seem to be troubled from lack of watching one. I did see a radio.

Looked to me like he slept in the dinette and had taken the aft seat rest out so he could store items down in that compartment, stretch legs, etc.

He didn't do any sailing, it looked like, but truely did as so many do anyway, just had the boat sitting there at the marina living on it. It was not as bad as many boats looked whose owners' 'sail'. But.......

He had a job, used the marina's facilities for daily existence, like restaurants, social life, or whatever. He had a car in the parking lot and worked daily. He lived alone and was around 50 and didn't have any family, except all the boat people who seemed to think lots of him. Far as I could tell, he didn't have a girlfriend nor a dog.

He didn't do any sailing much, but most live aboards don't, at least those I have known. They have normally crewed with others on the larger boats always looking for good crew. He seemed like one of those self-sufficient kind of guys who can do anything and was busy helping others when he was 'hanging out'.

He was clean, well-groomed and I suppose used the laudrymat in the marina for his dirty clothes. He lived on a dock which was about 50 yards from the marina and could see all the comings and goings, so had lots to keep him busy and to keep an eye on things, if that's what he wanted to do. But, mostly he hang out in the ship's store.

He seemed happy,

I saw more, but the last time I was there, the boat was there, but closed up tightly. Dunno if he still lives aboard or not.

Larry
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/28/2004 7:03 AM Pacific Time

Chip, your question is good, and you're right I haven't lived more than a long weekend on a Cat 22. I've only started sailing these little Melmac boats since I moved from LA to Texas ten years ago, after parting out a 35' one of a kind cold molded plywood boat which we raced rather successfully in PHRF on the coast. However, two of my crew were live-a-boards, one in a 28' the other in 35' and I visited them and could see the problems of confined living and we talked about it. After five years of knowing them and seeing them cope with the inconvineinces, which I and my wife decided we would not want to do, I could see that those who did choose to live there really thought it was great. So my observation that one can live with less than spacious quarters 'if they put their mind to it' is not just top of the head. Also, as an enlisted man in the Navy I lived with a bunk and locker for years, as have others. So it is what you wish to make of it, good bad or indifferent, it can be enjoyable. Maybe different than what most of us think is 'the bare neccessities', but still a good life for many.
Cedric

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: La Pointe
08/28/2004 2:32 PM Pacific Time

I wasn't as concerned about my ability to handle the live aboard life, as a Catalina 22' is a mansion compared to what I just spent this past summer in. I have spent the last two months sleeping in a O'day Mariner (19 ft.) that was moored with only partial wind protection.
I am more concerned with the way the boat will handle it. I was looking for someone who had specifically moored a swing keel Catalina 22' and wanted to hear their thoughts on how the boat handled the situation.
Thanks for the concern about the tough live aboard life, But let me assure you I am fully aware of it. 6' of person gets a little cramped in a Oday Mariner, especially in a strong wind.

Ced
stephen moscatello
westport ,ct

Boat Name: The Breakaway

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port: westport
12/13/2007 2:27 PM Pacific Time

hey chip ,im going on your sight to check out your pics .....jokers819@aolcom
stephen moscatello
westport ,ct

Boat Name: The Breakaway

Model/Year: 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port: westport
12/13/2007 4:17 PM Pacific Time

several years ago ,my ex wife threw me out of the house in those days i had a 19 ft searay sevill .cuddy cabin wIth camper tops .no porta potty and no shower it was summertime so when i got up around 2 after a night of partying the dock hose had alot of hot water in it to shower to get ready to go out and do it all again .........Looking back i made alot of mistakes now im much older perhaps a little wiser .........GOD THAT WAS BEST TWO WEEKS OF MY LIFE .
Jack Riley
Tavernier Florida

Boat Name: Taddy

Model/Year: Catalina 22 Sport 2021 swing keel

Hull No. 5804

Hailing Port: Tavernier Florida
11/11/2021 12:40 AM Pacific Time

ldfkaqaa

Boat Name: uywcrbwu

Model/Year: 1967

Hull No. 1

Hailing Port: 1
11/11/2021 12:40 AM Pacific Time

Mooring / Docking
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / Live-aboard anyone?