Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Mexican Gulf Sailing

Author Mexican Gulf Sailing
Lance Anderson
Kenai, Alaska

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 2367

Hailing Port: Kenai, Alaska
01/06/2004 12:41 PM Pacific Time

Sorry bout the double. I'm still learning to use this thing.
--Someone recently was talking about sailing around the Baja. Last months "Sailing" had a decent article on this. It was a trailer sailing special issue. Pretty cool to see our world discussed in depth in such a fine rag.
Lance
C22#2367
Ann #8236, La Buena Vita
Phoenix, Arizona

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/06/2004 4:26 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the tip. We are currently sailing in Arizona but hope to "spread our wings" soon...

Ann
La Buena Vita
Bruce Landolt
Bend, Oregon

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/11/2004 6:23 PM Pacific Time

The Admiral and I just got home lastnight from sailing for two weeks on the sea of Cortez at San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico. We did not venture very far off the coast. Mostly sailed in water somewhat protected from the heavy NW winds that blew most afternoons. We would have done more gunkholing, but Sandi was sick with the flu most of the trip, so we kept a slip in the beautiful Marina San Carlos, with water and electric hookup, for $12 per night. We were a little unlucky with the weather, as it was unsually cold while we were there. In fact, it hit 17 degrees in Tucan Az the night after we went by. But we still had 70 most days. The sailing was 100 times better then sitting in Sassi in my back yard watching it snow. If anyone has questions, I will hang in awhile on the thread. I am not sure at this point if I am going to continue with the new forum. I cannot figure out how to read the messages off line. I do not have unlimited i-net service, and can't afford to stay on line long enpough to read and reply to e-mail.
Jim Holliday
Siloam Springs, Arkansas

Boat Name: Gandalf

Model/Year: Cat 22/74

Hull No. 3436

Hailing Port: Grand Lake/NE Oklahoma
01/14/2004 11:27 AM Pacific Time

Bruce, did you trailer your boat to Mexico or rent something there? If so what were the costs?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/21/2004 10:56 PM Pacific Time

Jim, I trailered the boat 3200 miles round trip. That is on a single axle trailer that I just put surge disc brakes on, and new heavy ply tires. I pulled it with a Jeep Cherokee with a big v8. I probably ran between 65 and 75 most of the way, but down to 55 on some of the long grades. The sad part was gas milage. I had a hard head wind all the way down, and no wind at all on the way back. Averaged 10.1 mpg. We used the boat for a camper on the road, and lived aboard all but two nights while we were there.
Jim Holliday
Siloam Springs, Arkansas

Boat Name: Gandalf

Model/Year: Cat 22/74

Hull No. 3436

Hailing Port: Grand Lake/NE Oklahoma
01/22/2004 9:27 AM Pacific Time

Bruce, you are an inspiration to me. I have a dream of someday taking my boat to the gulf. Maybe in a few years when I have retired. Thanks.
Garth Tayler
Weatherford, Texas

Boat Name: Garnet

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1973

Hull No. 1744

Hailing Port: Harbor One, Eagle Mountain Lake
02/05/2004 7:27 PM Pacific Time

Has anybody done any sailing off the Texas coast? If so was it a good experience and where do you recommend going. I've been doing most of my sailing on Texas lakes and wonder what it would be like to sail offshore. I know that it is a different ball game and that there is a lot to look out for....any tips, advice etc!!!
Garth
Willard E. (Will) Lee
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Southern Gale

Model/Year: C-22/1977

Hull No. 7657

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Georgia
02/06/2004 6:11 AM Pacific Time

I lived in Corpus Christi, TX for a number of years and spent a lot of time sailing off the Texas coast, just not on a Catalina 22. As I remember, 6 - 8 foot seas were common and I remember one night race with 10 - 12 foot seas. I was on a Cal 25 and while it's not much longer than the C-22 it has considerably more freeboard.

Off Corpus Christi and south of there, the winds average around 18-20 with sustained winds in the mid to high 20's not unusual. If you go, watch the wind and sea conditions.
Kent Haugaard
Patagonia Arizona

Boat Name: Grateful

Model/Year: C22 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: San Carlos MX
02/10/2004 5:07 PM Pacific Time

Bruce, I am going down to San Carlos for a week with my wife and friends. Leaving on 2/16. I've never gone down there with a trailer.Can you give me any tips??? Mexican trailer/boat insurance for on the road/in the water? What marina did you use?
Kent Haugaard
Patagonia Arizona
Jim Edmond
Deerfield

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 84

Hull No. 2217

Hailing Port: Oneida lake
09/13/2012 9:46 AM Pacific Time

It sounds like this was a winter sail. Is a week sailing out of San Carlos at Christmas time a viable proposition on a Cat 22 swing keel? Has anybody done it?

Thanks
Jim Edmond
Deerfield

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 84

Hull No. 2217

Hailing Port: Oneida lake
09/13/2012 9:46 AM Pacific Time

It sounds like this was a winter sail. Is a week sailing out of San Carlos at Christmas time a viable proposition on a Cat 22 swing keel? Has anybody done it?

Thanks

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Mexican Gulf Sailing