Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Low Profile cooler

Author Low Profile cooler
William ( Bill ) Gowan
Owego,NY

Boat Name: Dreamer

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ithaca NY
09/08/2004 1:55 PM Pacific Time

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be a suitable cooler/ice chest for weekend crusing on our Cat 22 ?
( I've removed the non-functional orginal kitchen mod. ) It appears that most coolers I've looked at are too high to fit that space.
Thanks !
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
09/09/2004 5:45 AM Pacific Time

Bill, I ended up screwing two pad eyes into the wood shelf trim at the forward end of the starboard quarter berth. Now I can bungee any cooler into that corner, where it is easily reached from the dinette table.

Just a thought...

Chip Lee
William ( Bill ) Gowan
Owego,NY

Hull No.

09/09/2004 7:43 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Chip ! Good idea ..I may check that out.
BG
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
09/09/2004 9:03 AM Pacific Time

We have a Coleman cooler that is just under 14 inches high. It slides into the space under the starboard cockpit seat with an inch or two to spare. The lid has a sliding panel that allows some access without opening the entire lid. It doesn't keep ice as well as I'd like it to, but probably no cooler would. I think it came from Wal-Mart some years ago.

Austin Cooley
William ( Bill ) Gowan
Owego,NY

Hull No.

09/10/2004 5:05 AM Pacific Time

Austin,. Thanks for the info..you wouldn't happen to know the model number of that cooler? Coleman has a pretty good website..but does not show cooler dimensions.
Bill
Dwayne Guidry
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1983 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH1458M83

Hailing Port: Lake Arthur La.
09/12/2004 8:47 PM Pacific Time

Bill I have Two coolers that fit in my starboard cockpit seat one is an Igloo marine 25qt and the other is a coleman don't know what size but the model # is 5277 hope this helps
Dwayne
William ( Bill ) Gowan
Owego,NY

Hull No.

09/16/2004 11:45 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Dwayne...sorry it took so long to get back with you. So far It looks like the Igloo marine 48 qt cooler will fit nicely under there also . I'll see if I can figure out which Coleman cooler you're using.
again, Thanks!
Bill
Dwayne Guidry
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1983 Catalina 22

Hull No. CTYH1458M83

Hailing Port: Lake Arthur La.
09/17/2004 5:38 PM Pacific Time

Bill maybe I missunderstood what you were looking for.
With my Igloo I can open my starboard seat and slip it in there. when I need a drink I just open the seat and the cooler and grab one.

Dwayne
William ( Bill ) Gowan
Owego,NY

Hull No.

09/18/2004 6:35 AM Pacific Time

Hey Dwayne,
what I was looking for was a cooler that would go where the galley module used to be stowed in the cabin ( not sure what that area is called ) It looks like the 48 Qt Igloo marine cooler will fit there nicely. I'm also going to place a cooler in the starboard seat locker..good idea! . That should give us plenty of cold storage for weekenders on the boat! Thanks again,
Bill

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / Low Profile cooler