Leaky Windows

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Leaky hatch

Author Leaky hatch
Michael
Sarasota

Boat Name: Gumbo Girl

Model/Year: 1976 Cat. 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sarasota
09/13/2004 11:10 AM Pacific Time

I have a slow, but steady leak coming from the port side of my hatch. My model slides back and I have noticed that the sealant by the slide track seems to have degraded over the years. I can get to most of it by moving the hatch as I go along, but their a section that is covered whether the hatch is open or closed. Does anyone know of a solution? Do I have to remove the hatch to get at it and, if so, how do you do that? Thanks.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
09/13/2004 3:49 PM Pacific Time

You can remove the sliding hatch by unscrewing the hatch runners (the slotted wood that the hatch slides in). The screws show under the cabin top. I suspect they need to be completely rebedded in sealant. It shouldn't be a very big job: just a few screws. While they are out, though, it would be nice to completely refinish the runners all the way around.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
09/14/2004 8:32 AM Pacific Time

While you have the runners out, you might want to consider refurbishing the slots, to keep the hatch from dragging on the deck which causes an awful screeching sound.

Fill the slots with epoxy. Recut the slots, using a table saw, so that there is an epoxy layer along the bottom of the slot. The repair should outlast the boat.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/21/2005 3:35 PM Pacific Time

I have a problem and don't know where. When I bought the boat, 6448, I found it had 30-40 gallons water in it. Ithought that it wasjsut neglect and none use, also the fittings on deck were losse because the backing plates wre made of wood and they simple dried out. Also, I had heard that the PO had used a pressure washer to clean his and a few others around him, shortly before I bought it. Having seen the boat in the yard, and it had a new paint job on the hull I thought it was an average boat, I bought it without going aboard, actually over the telephone, the price was right. Then I found that the wood panels showed signs that there had been water in the boat for some time, the bottom edges were dry rotted. I dried the boat out for almost a year in my shed, put in new seal kit in the windows, painted the deck, re-set all the hardware, epoxied in the bow eye kit, wiped down all the black mold on the inside, and everything that I could think of that would let water in. I finally got it back into the boat yard two weeks ago, and put a new tarp from 1 1/2' in front of the mast to 1 1/2' over the transom. When I got there today the cover over the cockpit was full of water, the cockpit dry. Inside it looked dry untill I looked in the battery compartment, and start bailing the 10 gallons of water. I looked eveywhere I could think of for signs of water entry and could find none. Up front there was water under the hatch in back of the chain locker, The area had taken about 6-7" of rain but where is it getting in?
I am baffled. Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Al Ge

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/21/2005 4:13 PM Pacific Time

to the fellow with boat taking water.....

find some..NON water proof magic marker.......

dry the insides......put on the magic marker all around the inside.....on the hull liner...........

then spray the boat with water..........look for missing marker....

this should show up deck leaks.....which is a start.....

I have owned two catalinas..still own an 86..........and owned 804 from 1972 until three years ago...when a tree fell on it...

I feel as if I have seen everything..but I am sure I haven't//

tom//

Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
08/21/2005 4:53 PM Pacific Time

sounds like the bottom gudgeon may be leaking, its a good starting point when you find water around the battery.

take a look at the keel locking bolt.

did you re-bed the tabernackle?

another trick is to use a chalk line on the inside for leaks, of course if its leaking between the hull and liner that trick won't work.

also try using a water hose while someone is on the inside watching .
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/22/2005 3:21 AM Pacific Time

Was the boat in or out of the water when the leak occurred?

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

08/22/2005 5:36 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, guys, the boat was out of the water on it's trailer.
I will try the hose routine once the inside of the bottom is fully dry. This is my third C22 and have never had this much rain water in any of them. And from in front of the anchor locker, everything was bedded well as I put it back on. Thanks again,
Al Ge
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
08/22/2005 7:53 PM Pacific Time

Hi all,
Another trick that some of my fellow Fleet 77 members have used to good effect is to use duct tape to seal the major gaps, feed air to the interior with a leaf blower (an average electric one will give you more than enough air) and go apply a little "bubble blowing solution to all suspect areas (like checking for an LP gas leak). You can even do this in the water.

Good luck,

Bob Endicott
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

08/23/2005 4:00 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, Bob, I'll try that if the hose doesn't work.
Al Ge

Leaky Windows
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Leaky hatch