Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Bow Eye Block change or reuse

Author Bow Eye Block change or reuse
Bob (Hobie) Davidson
Altamonte Springs, Fl.

Boat Name: For Sail

Model/Year: 1977 c22

Hull No. 6993

Hailing Port: Altamonte Springs, Fl.
09/13/2004 2:05 PM Pacific Time

MY 1977 c22 has a bow eye bolt with one shaft. It keeps loosening & chewing up the fiber glass at the bow. I purchased a new chrome bow eye U-Bolt with two shafts to stop the grinding. I am concerned as to how to install the new eye bolt. 1. Should I drill another hole and match it up with the old hole. 2. Should I drill two new holes above and below the old hole. 3. should I start from scratch with a new oak backing block reepoxy it into the bow then drill new holes?

It seems to me the easiest way is to use the old oak 6" block and just drill another hole and still use the old hole.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
09/13/2004 3:46 PM Pacific Time

If you can repair the fiberglass damage around the old hole, go ahead and just make 1 new one. You might want to fill the old one with epoxy and redrill it though. You should also consider installing the bow stem reinforcement (tying the plate you attach the forestay to to the bow eye).
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
09/13/2004 4:00 PM Pacific Time

Bob,
When I did mine, I filled the hole and redrilled, I wouldn't epoxy the oak board in. The one I got from C/D was cut to fit pretty tight, I did however use 4200 to fill in any voids and hold it in place. I would also connect the stem fitting to the eye especially if your going to use a adjustable backstay
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
09/13/2004 4:06 PM Pacific Time

I installed a double loop like yours using the one existing hole. I bedded a long, wide stainless steel strap into lots of epoxy putty in the bow to spread out the load of the winch pulling on that poor bow eye. It really ties the bow together.

Mine had a very small fir backing that was completely rotted out. Now, there is no wood there. I believe my strap was 3/8 inch by 2 by 10 or 12 inches-serious overkill-and is tied into the existing stem re-enforcement from the bow plate. It pretty much fills the space inside from top to bottom and I would not hesitate to have a crane hoist the whole boat up by it. The loop came with a backing plate that I gently eased into some 3M 5200. When it had set up, I tightened the nuts up (next day). I ordered the strap from http://onlinemetals.com/ not great prices, but convenient.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Bow Eye Block change or reuse