Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / North East - List of Good Launch Ramps

Author North East - List of Good Launch Ramps
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Boat Name: no name

Model/Year: 1974 Catalina 22

Hull No. 3439

Hailing Port: Vermont
09/13/2004 6:31 PM Pacific Time

Hi folks, I am new to this group. I was thinking maybe we should have a have a thread for usable launch ramps in various areas. I am starting the thread for the North East because that is where I live. If you know of an easy ramp to launch a c-22 anywhere in the NE please post ...........................................As for me I just purchased a C-22. I live in Southern Vermont. My current tow vehicle is a 6 cyl astro van. Upon purchaseing the boat I went over to "Harriman Resevoir" (the only real close sailing for me) and took a look at the ramps. ( should have done prior to boat purchase). The first one was practically a cliff. A steep rock, sand and gravel strewn slope. with big holes where people had obviously gotten stuck. I knew instantly I would never be able to pull that boat out of there. So over to the supposed "good" ramp that the state has just put in. I get there and low and behold there is a 4 wheel drive truck stuck up to the floor boards in the lake. Attached is a 20 foot compac sailboat. They were trying to launch! They end up taking the trailer off and having another boat pull the sailboat out into deeper water. The detached trailer is now on the bottom. The truck finally gets unstuck. How they plan to get the boat out I have no idea. I asked the guy how much the boat weighs ( 2000LBs) and it looked like it was drawing about the same as the Catalina. ....Not good. So needless to say the whole thing looked kind of discouraging. I do have an extendable tongue on the trailer but without 4 wheel drive It looks very iffy for "lake whitingham". Maybe a hummer with a huge winch on the front :) Please post good ramps!. Last thing I want is to drive hours to find there is no way to launch..Thanks
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
09/14/2004 8:16 AM Pacific Time

I like the idea and would like to extend it to "... and places to sail in NorthEast" . Thanks for the info on Harriman Res. I was going to visit that lake with my C22. I know a couple of good or very good ramps in Connecticut and will post that info once I get all the details together. Thanks.

"Spirit" #13485
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Hull No. 3439

09/15/2004 10:07 AM Pacific Time

Great, I too want to hear about Northeast crusing grounds. I have heard there is a good ramp at the north end of Lake George. Anyone with specifics please post. I have friends who have sailed there. They say it is beautiful but in summer ruined by the hoardes of power boats, jet skis and water patrols. Off season is better. There are regulations on anchoring and you have to get a permit to launch your boat. These things conspire to make it a bit of a turn off in my eyes but I think we need more info.
Lake champlain also is another place I would like to hear more about I hear the north end of the lake is nice.
I spent several years living on lake winnipesaukee in NH. Just a spectacular place to sail although in the summer, especially weekends, suffers from the same issues as Lake George. In addition you can not legally anchor out and sleep in the boat which is really a negative in my mind. Worth day sailing though. Again we need to know good launch points.
Years ago when I had a lancer 25 (which required probably 4 feet to float) I drove around the Florida keys for hours trying to put my boat in. Turning into something like the quest for the holy grail. (There's supposed to be one but nobody knows where it is ). Really put a damper on that day.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
09/15/2004 10:36 AM Pacific Time

Chris, I posted this some time ago. The ramp is very good up near Ticonderoga, good slope and no overhanging wires near the ramp when you're raising the mast. Easy motor/sail down to Roger's Rock campground, where they have permanent moorings and very few jet skis.

A little further south, in "the Narrows", is the Lake George islands State Park, with some great dockage, but more of the powerboat traffic.

The village of Hague, NY has a public dock that has a shallow approach (motor only, swing keel up).

Here's what I wrote before:

Rich, I haven't sailed on Champlain yet, though it's on my list.

However, If you want to try a "trailorsail" cruise, especially at the end of the season, you might want to try launching for a long weekend at the north end of Lake George. We did this a couple of times and are planning to go again soon.

The Lake George Islands State Park is a couple-hour sail south from the launch in Ticonderoga. It is a cluster of Islands with docks and campsites in "The Narrows" midway down the lake.

Hague at the north end and Bolton Landing in the middle are good towns for mid-trip provisioning, so you don't have to pack a ton of food.

The islands are jewels in some of the cleanest water you will ever sail on. As you know, a fall sail in your area also provides some of the most spectacular foliage in the Northeast (and no lines of "leaf-peepers" to follow!).

My kids live over that way, so we often kayak out to the islands from Bolton as well. The campsites are dry (bring water or a filter), with outhouses and some have their own docks. The park office is on the central island. I can never remember its name, but its marina is easily visible from your boat. Just motor down the center of the islands and you'll see it to your left.

Mind your depth if you leave the marked channels in the Narrows! There are lots of shoals, though they are easy to spot in the clear water.

The Narrows is about the northernmost end of the Lake George Village boat traffic, so we do all of our day sailing north of the islands and then go back to our site in the evening.

One thing that is great about the islands is the relative lack of bugs. They don't have the profusion of black flies followed by mosquitoes that plague your shores early in the summer. Over the years we've theorized why this is, but still don't have a good answer yet. But we feel blessed in our ignorance anyway!

Oh, also the Roger's Rock State Park at the north end has permanent moorings at the east end of the park, in addition to the oft-crowded dock. We stayed there on the way back last trip. The moorings are away from the lights and hub-bub of the center of the park, so we enjoyed the tranquility there.

Of course, if you like excitement, you could always sail south to Lake George Village. We haven't done it, because the tour boats, jet skis and cigarette boats are too much excitement for us. But the town definitely rocks during the summer...

I'll ask some of my non-Catalina friends over there if they have any info on Champlain cruising.

If you hear anything about Champlain cruising, please let me know.

Chip Lee
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

09/15/2004 11:05 AM Pacific Time

Here are some other places I've launched Martha Pearl:

Lake Ontario (NY) launches:

Mexico Point, NY State Boat Launch: $6.00 daily use fee, tons of powerboat traffic, no overnight stay. sailing is great once you get away from the launch, which is at the mouth of Little Salmon River.

Town of Henderson Harbor, NY boat launch: free, good parking, long ramp (may need tongue extension for your trailor), small dock, but plenty of places to anchor/dock elsewhere in Henderson Bay. Strong sailing population here and campgrounds/marinas/motels nearby. Not sheltered from strong North winds.

Village of Sackets Harbor, NY - free launch, steep and easy to use, can be tight on parking, but a fun little town with War of 1812 history. Sheltered in all winds.

Village of Dexter, NY: free launch, good ramp, good parking. This ramp is on the Black River, requires 10 minute motor to get out to the lake. Very sheltered in all weather.

St. Lawrence River:

Village of Cape Vincent, NY: free ramp. Ramp is good, but dockage is very short, so plan to leave right after launching, pack everything on the boat before you launch. Good place to start a St. Lawrence River trip - very scenic, great sailing and low boat traffic. Tough in strong N-NW winds.

Village of Clayton: free village ramp, but short on dock and parking, have to park on village street around corner from ramp. Crowded in summer, but village is fun - has a wooden boat parade. Sheltered.

Wellesley Isand State Park: have to pay 1000 Islands Bridge toll and State Park Day use or Overnight fees to use this, but it's worth it. Wellesley is a very large island with villages, a nature center, campground, golf courses, scenery, and is right on the Canadian border, so you can sightsee on both sides easily in one day. Ramp is good, water is crystal clear, dockage is excellent and very sheltered. We sometimes camp here; most times we just stay on the boat.

Oneida Lake, NY near Syracuse: County Park with boat launch on south shore here - haven't used it yet, but it looks good, though lots of launch traffic.

I've been on the web looking for info on Lake Champlain, especially the northern end. Anyone who's familiar with this, please let me know.

Chip Lee
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
09/15/2004 1:09 PM Pacific Time

And if come to Connecticut or just live in Connecticut and want to get your boat to Long Island Sound you can use these ramps:
- state boat launch in Groton, ex. 87 off I95, next to Pine Island Marina. You can get directions from http://www.pineislandmarina.com/
Large overnight parking, no fees, very good ramp with short docks on both sides. You can get mooring in the marina next door, protected area by Pine Island, minutes to New London. Approx. 25 nmiles to Block Island, RI.
- state boat launch in Old Saybrook right under the bridge with I95. First exit on I95 South after crossing Connecticut River. At the end of the ramp take left and keep going until you get under the bridge and see really large parking lot. Boat ramp is at the right end of the parking lot. Plenty of parking spaces even for long rigs. Ramp is really nice and wide. Plenty of water even at the low tide. Lights. Keep you rig overnight, no fees. Disadventage: after you launch your boat you'll be on Connecticut River appox. 15-30 mins from the sound but upstream from the railroad draw bridge.
Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

09/16/2004 4:41 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, Artur. I have wanted to sail the Sound again (last time was 1972), but didn't know anything about launching.

This helps a lot.

Chip Lee
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Hull No. 3439

09/16/2004 7:03 AM Pacific Time

This info is really great thanks a lot. I don't have any idea how many C-22 sailors from the northeast are subscribed to this group but If over time this thread gets real long and rambling. I would be happy to condense the info and post it on a web page in a clear format we can all access easily. We'll see how it goes.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
09/19/2004 8:15 PM Pacific Time

Maine:
You can't have a better launch ramp than the one at Northeast Harbor, Maine (near Bar Harbor). It gives you access to some of the best sailing areas on the coast of Maine. However, you can't park right at the launch ramp. You have to park in the storage lot belonging to Haynes Garage. The launch ramp is at the city marina and dock. There also is a yachtsman building where you can take showers. Moorings are very reasonably priced if you need to stay close to the launch point. Acadia National Park buses stop at the harbor. Grocery store, laundry, restaurants, gift shops, and marine supply are within a block of the ramp. It is about an hour to the Bangor airport if you have someone flying in to meet you. There is a Walmart within a short drive.
If you have any questions about the area you can contact me at [email protected].
Philip
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Hull No. 3439

06/14/2005 5:48 PM Pacific Time

Harriman Reservoir, also known as Lake Whitingham, is the largest body of water completely within Vermont’s borders. Located in Southern Vermont a few miles outside the town of Wilmington, about 10 miles from the Mt. Snow ski area. It was built by New England Power Company as part of their hydro-electric system and finished in 1923. It is over eight miles long but fairly narrow in many spots. My general guess is it is about a half mile wide on average. The lake generally runs north to south however there are a number of twists and turns as this is basically a dammed up river. The lake sits fairly high up in the green mountains and because of this seems to have at least some kind of breeze blowing across it at all times. As a matter of fact there is are a series of large windmills located within sight of the lake on a nearby ridge. There is also a sailing club here that has some moorings for boats under 20 feet ( bummer) The lake and boat ramp are open from 8am to 9pm so unfortunately everyone except for the sailing clubs moored boats must be off the lake by 9pm. Police patrol boats are common on busy days so make sure you have a fire extinguisher, an air horn, life preservers and a throw-able cushion or ring.. . The lake itself is beautiful. No houses at all. Forest on all shores. Mountains ring the lake.. There are a number of islands and coves to stop in. The water although turbid and slightly brown with limited visibility, is clean. I know of no industry or farming in this area. Fishing is very good I have taken quite a few good Bass here. The water temperature was perfect. cool but not hot last weekend. ( June 14th ) As I mentioned above the power company controls the lake and owns almost all the land surrounding it. There are two formal boat ramps the others are informal. ( not paved or dug, just a road to a rocky beach) one of the formal ramps is untenable for launching a c-22, as it is simply to steep with no room to park. The main ramp which is just outside the town of Wilmington is the one everybody uses. Normally it has a very large dirt parking area and a long floating dock that parallels the actual rocky dug ramp. The Dock is capable of holding probably 10 boats waiting to go in or out.
On the day I arrived ( June 11th 2005 ) at approx. 9:45am I was met by 2 people who were in charge of the " ramp " one of them was down at the ramp. One in the upper parking lot, talking to the other on a walky talky. I was told to rig the boat in the upper lot and then indicate when ready to launch. As I started setting the boat up, large power boats started arriving. This is the only real ramp and on a busy weekend there is a incredible amount of boats trying to put in. GET THERE EARLY. We managed to be ready to launch by 10:30. That is a bit late....One serious issue with this lake is the water level is controlled. On the day I arrived the water was the highest I had ever seen it. The guy at the ramp said it was being held back for spawning season. Whatever the reason it posed a serious issue for us as the water was very thin. The guy at the bottom asked if I had 4 wheel drive before he let me try to launch. We backed up and up and up and up. Finally the boat started floating and when I opened the door I was a bit shocked to see the water about 2 inches from the floor boards. I am going to say that if you do not have a 4 wheel drive vehicle AND the extension for your trailer you should cross this lake off your list. If you have a 4x4 and extension then I think you can get in and out regardless of the water level as long as you don't mind getting the truck wet. Once in, I think you will find the sailing and lake great. The jet skis and power boats can be annoying but it is hard these days to get away from them anywhere. You will find places to tuck in have lunch and a swim by yourself. Bring every thing you need. There are no facilities on the lake which is one of the things that makes it appealing. If you have further questions e-mail me at [email protected]
Chris Hadden
Newfane, Vermont, USA

Hull No. 3439

07/06/2005 8:02 PM Pacific Time

For those people interested in trailering up to Lake Champlain. I just came back from a 4 day cruise. I am sure there are many good ramps on this large lake, but info seems hard to find. Based on info given to me from Rich of the NE trailer sailor group I put in at Mallets Bay (Colchester Vermont ) which is about 10 miles north of Burlington . There was a 4 lane concrete ramp. You should have a trailer extension and use it. you might get in without it but I would not bet on it. There is parking with room for 100 trucks with trailers. You can rig in the lot and then go to the ramp. No overhead wires. Seems like a safe place to leave your rig and parking/launch is FREE. No time limit on leaving your vehicle and trailer that I could see. They do not have a dumpster but there was a porti-potty. There are some small docks along side the ramps that you can tie up to for a while coming or going. Several people arriving late in the day slept in there boats planning to launch next morning. The common complaint was a fierce assault by mosquitoes when the sun went down. I anchored out in the harbor and will attest to the fact the bugs here are vicious after dark.
As long as you have the trailer extension this is a great launch site. Scenic, free, services are right there a marina, a restaurant, general store, gas, hardware store. It doesn't get much better, Highly recommended.

Directions to ramp:
Rte 89 North, to Exit 16. Take Rte 2 and 7 NORTH for 1.7 miles to intersection (w/traffic light) for Rte 127. Take LEFT onto Rte 127 toward Mallett’s Bay. Once you see the water, the ramp will be approx. ½ mile ahead on the right. There’s a large unpaved parking area for trailer parking (and rigging sailboats) just before the sign for the ramp. (If Rte 127 turns away from the water, you’ve missed the ramp.) Map

Ramp condition and docks:
There is a good triple ramp with small docks on either side. When leaving the docks be aware that there is a large rock in the center of the harbor. Chart

Parking and Fee:
There is a large parking area and the launching and parking are free. This lot is NOT secure, but we’ve not heard of any problem to date.

Amenities:
. There are no amenities.
Chris Hadden
1974 swing keel #3439
Newfane, Vermont

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / North East - List of Good Launch Ramps