Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel in Saltwater

Author Keel in Saltwater
Beth Ann Daye
Clinton, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Cultus Bay
09/18/2004 7:15 PM Pacific Time

Hello, My husband and I are considering a 1976 Catalina 22 that looks to be in excellent condition, especially for a 28 year old boat. I see the 1977 manual says that keeping a C-22 in salt water for a period of time is not a good idea.

We will sail in Puget Sound and have a slip in front of our house.

Convenience would have it in salt water year round. Are there strategies for doing this or should it be kept out of the water most of the time?

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Beth Ann

Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
09/18/2004 10:27 PM Pacific Time

Beth Ann,

If I had a choice like yours, I would not get a swing keel model. That would resolve your problem. I need the swing keel for trailering. If you plan to be in shallow areas, like south sound or La Conner, the solution is not so simple. I would think yearly hauling and bottom treatment would suffice, and would be required for a moored boat in any case, but I'm no expert on salt water issues. The colder water in this area should help reduce the rate of corrosion compared to some of our frightening corroded keel stories from the south.

Joe
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
09/19/2004 1:46 AM Pacific Time

Hi Beth Ann;

I think Joe's advice is right on the mark. I bought a 1974 swing keel C-22 almost two years ago, also in great shape, and have sunk a small fortune and incalculable hours of labor into improving it. From what I understand, it has always been used in salt water (though the original owner apparently trailered it), and I keep it on a mooring from May through September when I haul out for the winter and store it on its trailer in my yard in Marblehead, Massachusetts.

The keel was in need of work the first year I had Chip Ahoy, but I let it go until I hauled out last September, only adding a new zinc to it before my first launch. Then the boatyard removed and completely overhauled it: sandblasted, filled, faired and epoxied -- to the tune of $2,000! (After recovering from sticker-shock when receiving the bill, I discovered that I could have bought a brand new keel -- fiberglass over lead -- for less! Caveat Emptor!)

The only real trailering I do is down to the boatyard about a mile away for spring launching and home again in the fall. Next year I may trailer up to Portland, Maine, launch up there, and continue my cruise further up the coast from where I left off last month on my 3-week cruise -- but for that I'll need another trailer as mine's about dead.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't get a swing keel -- but it's too late now.

You can see photos and step-by-step progress on my keel restoration project at:

http://chipford.com/keel.htm

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website:www.chipford.com

Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
09/19/2004 2:02 AM Pacific Time

In fairness, I should list the few times having a swing keel has provided an advantage.

My mooring has only 4 feet of water at extreme low tide, so I have to crank up the keel when I come into it. The mooring company could have put it in deeper water, but considered Chip Ahoy a shallow draft boat. I first noted this the first day I tied up to the mooring and saw that Chip Ahoy wasn't swinging with the other boats until I cranked up the keel. If I had a fixed keel that needed a deeper draught, I'd be moored further out, a longer row in the dinghy -- but now I've put a small outboard on the dinghy anyway.

One dock I stayed at on my trip up the coast of Maine (in Portsmouth, NH on the Piscataqua River) didn't have room for me -- until I told them I drew only 3 feet (adding half a foot to be on the safe side). They were able to squeeze me in, and later I found there was plenty of water beneath me to lower the keel even at low tide.

Coming back, I cut off Cape Ann (Gloucester/Rockport) by going through the Annisquam River, but it was at almost dead low tide with it still outgoing. At two narrow places I actually bumped bottom, checked my fishfinder, and saw I had only 3 feet of water beneath me -- looking over the side I could see bottom from the nearby sandbar to starboard that stretched out at me, even though I was only a few feet off the navigation buoy to my port side. I had a couple more cranks left on the winch and used them.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website:www.chipford.com

Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Boat Name: Windward

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13812

Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
09/19/2004 10:08 AM Pacific Time

Hi Beth Ann

I sail in South Puget Sound and moor my boat out in front of my house. I have had the boat for two summers and find that with a good coat of bottom paint the keel satys in pretty good shape. I like my swing keel for two reason:
1) I can moor it closer to shore and don't have to row as far to get to it and
2) It is easy to pull in winter and store in my yard where I can work on it.

I have not added zincs to my keel but that may be a good idea. I've had conflicting advice on this issue -- good idea vs not really necessary.

In fairness, my keel isn't in that great of shape. It is pitted with rust spots which I sand out and repaint. I don't race it so I don't really care if it is a bit slower because of it.

I'm just about to pull my boat for the winter so I'll let you know what kind of shape things are in after another year in the water.

...Gerry
Beth Ann Daye
Clinton, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Cultus Bay
09/19/2004 9:20 PM Pacific Time

Thank you to Joe, Chip and Gerry for your responses to my question. Cultus Bay is at the southeastern tip of Whidbey Island and bottoms out at low tide. The community marina has an access channel out to deep water. So, the swing keel is best for us, plus that's what is for sale just now. :-)

I've posed a new question....regarding the keel hanger. Hope you have some ideas for that too.

Gerry, are there any local C22 clubs? We can probably see Olympia on a clear enough day. We CAN see Seattle and of course Mt. Ranier.

Thanks again to you all.

Beth Ann

Thanks again

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel in Saltwater