Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Ensign's

Author Ensign's
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
09/22/2004 12:05 PM Pacific Time

Hey Gang,

Do any of you fly a US ensign or yacht ensign on the stern?

If so, do you put on staff or clip to the backstay as in the days of old.

Just curious, thinking of getting one for tradition.

Garrett
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
09/23/2004 4:29 AM Pacific Time

Garrett,
If you're sincere about following tradition, I recommend Chapman's (available at any source of nautical books) the U.S. Power Squadron guidelines (I believe they have a common source). Google will regurgitate a wealth of info, as well.
To answer your question, if you go to the C22 National Association webpage and look for Tequila Sunset (#12759) in the picture gallery, you'll see how we fly ours (a practical compromise).

Fair winds,

Bob
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
09/23/2004 7:53 AM Pacific Time

Bob, I have a different kind of question for you. I found your boat on the C22 National Assoc. web site and noticed that you still use original main from Catalina, correct me if I'm wrong. I also noticed that the shape or condition of your main looks similar to mine, it's sagging in the area above the foot. Here's my question: is it normal for old sail to do that and how much it inhibits the boat's performance? I'm debating whether I should spend $$$ and but a new main or to keep the old one which otherwise is in pretty good shape. All comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

"Spirit" #13485
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
09/24/2004 6:08 AM Pacific Time

Artur - You have made a lot of assumptions based on a picture. My take is that the boat is sailing with a reef in the mainsail. That would explain the "sagging." I can say for a fact that the performance of a sail is directly proportional to it's age. If your main is baggy, spend the boat bucks on a new one. You will be amazed at the difference in performance.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Hull No. 13485

09/24/2004 8:03 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for your comment. I should be able to buy a new one by next spring. One more think, if you don't mind, my C22 has 150% genoa made by O'Neil from @1992. Great sail but I would love to see through it. Would you recommend to bring it to a shop for modification? I would love to have a small translucent window installed in it.
Thanks again.

"Spirit" #13485
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
09/25/2004 6:30 AM Pacific Time

ROFLMAO !

Artur and Dick,
You're BOTH right! Yes, Dick, the main IS reefed (though since our friends Mickey and Dee LaGarde, who took the picture, were kind enough to clip the top of the mast off, it isn't too obvious :^). And yes, Art, the main IS original and it IS baggy (the main reason it's reefed in air that wouldn't have required a reef with a newer, flatter sail). I also lack an adjustable backstay and cunningham, (though I have a vang and I'm not afraid to use it :^).
Basically, since we don't race and we cruise in an area where we're never very far from shelter, I just haven't been able to bring myself to spring for new sails. I will say, though, that if you do, you will be delighted with the improvement in the boat's handling. When my friend Ned and I were getting his boat Swingin' It ready for the Nationals, we took it out on the bay with his nice, new sails in 15-20. I was astonished at how she stayed on her feet when you flatten things out a bit.
It's your call, Arturo. Dick's right, though.... If you can afford it, new sails will do wonders.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
09/25/2004 9:12 AM Pacific Time

I don't race either, but the new set of sails has greatly improved the pointing ability of the boat, which increases the range to windward, and gives you great satisfaction to make the channel with 1 less tack than anticipated.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Hull No. 13485

09/27/2004 10:44 AM Pacific Time

Thank you guys for your input. Lets see if I can convince my wife that new sails for our C22 could be our mutual Christmas gift :). Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Raymond
Canberra

Boat Name: Heat Wave

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/27/2004 4:46 PM Pacific Time

Hi.

As I understand it (for a sailing vessel), the national ensign is flown from a jack at the stern or one-third up the back stay.

When in a foreign port, initially the Q flag is flown from the starboard spreader. Subsequently, after pratique, the ensign of that country is flown from the starboard spreader.

Although probably not stricly correct, any ensign, such as the nationality of the owner, may be flown from the port spreader.

A club burgee should only be flown from the mast head.

Ensigns should only be flown from sun up until sundown.

Ray

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Ensign's