Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Arch over pushpit

Author Arch over pushpit
Raymond
Canberra

Boat Name: Heat Wave

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/26/2004 10:19 PM Pacific Time

I am toying with the idea of fitting an arch over the pushpit.

My idea is to bend a 1" stainles steel tube into a form that would result in a horizontal length with a vertical length on each side. The latter could be connected to the existing pushpit using perhaps long U bolts.

The horizontal length could then be used as a mast support when trailering, possibly a support for a sun awning (at stops), mounting postiion for a solar panel, and perhaps an anchor point to which to attach a tacke to retrieve an MOB (if necessary).

Has anyone any ideas? (e.g., would this put too much strain on the existing pushpit mountings?)

Ray
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/27/2004 5:02 AM Pacific Time

Ray, your Australian lingo is a bit different than the way we express things here in the states, but your idea sounds like a good one for trailer/cruising, I think. If I understand you correctly you are planning to add raised rail across the stern pulpit, as we call it, to be used for mast support while trailering, an awning support at anchor and davit for picking up an outboard motor. If that is the case it sounds fine with a caveat that the height of it, and the final fore and aft location, presumably about even with the transom, would have to be carefully considered so as not to interfere the mainsheet while sailing. Which if it is sturdy enough, might be used to mount the traveler to get it up out of the cockpit. I have seen a cruisers that did build a gantry such as that, high enough to sheet the main to without a boom. This eliminated having to duck the boom, which was annoying to the folks. Thinking now, if you had a fully battened sail, cruising without a boom might not be bad, the effientency might not be that far off. The cruiser was using a mast roller reefing, which would be impossible witha fully battened sail, but there is some food for thought.
Al Ge
Raymond
Canberra

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/27/2004 5:28 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, Al.

Sorry about the confusion with "pushpit" - I accept that "stern pulpit" might be more correct.

However, you have the idea.

Your comments re the main sheet is a point that I had not considered.

The horizontal rail would probably be slightly (say a few inches) behind the stern - to keep it out of the way and to allow it be be used as a derrick.

A question is, if some load is placed on the horizontal rail, will the resulting leverage be within the tolerances of the fixings of the stern pulpit to the deck?

Ray
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
09/27/2004 6:20 PM Pacific Time

I would think you would need to have some sort of angle brace to support the arch. Otherwise the shearing load may be too great and tear the arch off of the boat or more seriously, tear the stern pulpit off the boat. This would result in having the arch brought more forward that you might want.

IMHO

Geoff
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
09/27/2004 11:19 PM Pacific Time

Ray - First of all welcome to this list. We Aussies are taking over! You might also like to know that Martin (the previous owner) is a friend of mine who lives a few blocks away, and that I've sailed on Heatwave. Congratulations on the purchase.

My biggest concern about your suggestion would be the loads on the bolts holding the pushpit (there's that word again...) My guess is they wouldn't be strong enough to put under a shearing load. Consider separate installations - I installed a solar panel quite easily on Reflections' pushpit using a BBQ clamp, made wooden carriers for the mast, and wonder how much you'd really need a bimini in Canberra. Got to admit, having a way to get the motor in and out of the boat easily would be a plus, as I had mine stolen.

Paul
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/27/2004 11:27 PM Pacific Time

You have a point Geoff, but the stern pulpip does have a brace forward. And note that people pull themselves up on it. I think you will find it strong enough, it is surprising how strong in relation to the loads that things are. Have you noticed 100-200 foot light pole are anchored in a two foot base? Also, even though you use a 3/8 or 7/16 diameter line with a breaking strength of 2000 lb., you really cannot pull more than 25-50 lb, but it sure is nice to have a big handle, the larger diameter rope, that is. An engineer friend of mine checked the breaking strengths of rope and found a 3/16 dia. line would be more than adequate for sheets, it sure was hell on your hands, he changed it out very quickly. For what it's worth I think it is can be done, of course you have to keep your head screwed on your shoulders, and make sure the backing plates under the stanctions are extra layers of glass or metal to spread the load.
Al Ge
Al Ge
Raymond
Canberra

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/07/2004 4:49 AM Pacific Time

Hi Paul.

Small world!

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Arch over pushpit