Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / 150 genoa sheet length

Author 150 genoa sheet length

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/06/2004 7:58 PM Pacific Time

Just bought a 150 genoa from Catalina Direct. Need to know sheet length. Guessing 30 feet. Thanks in advance.
Kevin
Wapakoneta, OH

Boat Name: JustABuk

Model/Year: '72

Hull No. 1351

Hailing Port: OH
01/06/2004 9:21 PM Pacific Time

Ours are 30 ft. long and 5/16" dia.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
01/06/2004 9:22 PM Pacific Time

Charlie - You need to figure in the length of the sheet as it runs from your crew on the high side to the winch on the low side with three wraps on the winch, forward around the mast and back to the close hauled genoa tack right next to the block at the aft end of the cabin.. If you can't measure an existing genoa sheet, run some string through that maze and measure the string. I would go more like 40 feet, maybe even fifty. You can always cut it off a lot easier than adding to it.

A bad day sailing beats almost anything else worth doing.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/07/2004 2:21 AM Pacific Time

A single sheet secured to the clew in the middle of the line is 55 feet
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/15/2004 5:53 PM Pacific Time

I have heard of a few racers usings a very light (small) line for the first few ft of the Genny (or larger) to keep the weight from affecting the shape of the sail in light iar, then splicing up to a larger line for handling. Have any of you racers out there done this? -

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/14/2004 9:11 AM Pacific Time

I just purchased a North Sail 150 Genoa from Dick King. He told me to use 40' lines when you are winging the genoa and the opposite line must go around the mast.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
03/14/2004 9:30 PM Pacific Time

Do most of you use genoa sheets with a lighter diameter than the smaller headsails? What size?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/15/2004 6:59 AM Pacific Time

David,
1/8 " for lighter winds 3/8" for heavier winds. Dick King says to use 40' length to wing the 150 from side to side.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

03/15/2004 7:32 AM Pacific Time

I would up the light air sheets to 1/4 inch. If the wind picks up say tp 5-10, the crew can still handle the small diameter line. Also, most jam or clam cleats have trouble gripping the 1/8 line. Even jam cleats might have trouble holding the lighter line.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/15/2004 10:44 AM Pacific Time

Another line to look at is the Classic Three-Strand Filament Polyester line at West Marine. I use 5/16. The line is much lighter than nylon line and resists wear well and is not expensive. Only downside is it's a little slick and ya need gloves to keep a grip on it.
Oldbees
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

03/15/2004 11:35 AM Pacific Time

Chuck - Is not hree strand filaments best characteristic, its stretchability? i.e. for anchor and dock lines. If you use it for sheets, the energy from little puffs of wind in very light air will all be absorbed by the sheet and none would go into the boat to get or keep it moving.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/15/2004 12:14 PM Pacific Time

I believe that I used 44 feet of line last time...but measure it,,,,,,,,,or better.......measure an existing sheet that works for a knowledgable sailor.........

sheet really should be dacron or one of the "like steel" lines.......stretching, as mentioned is good for dock and anchor lines...not sheets or halyards.............

If you are not sure about the length.....too soon for....changing sheet weight..and thickness........sometimes..these exotic things are more trouble than they are worth..........................and are just distractions/

tom
sans souci
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

03/15/2004 2:57 PM Pacific Time

OK Guys and Gals - I had told Bob in Central Fl earlier that he needed about 40 ft per side. That was what I remembered. I like the idea of tying them on individually. Anyway, today I climbed onto Jagged Edge and pulled out a sheet. I attached one end to the whisker pole with about a six inch loop and extended it out to the port side. I ran the sheet around the mast step, back through the genoa block to a turning block just behind the primary winch pad. (I have them on my boat). From there, I led it across the cockpit to the secondary winch on the port corner of the cabin top. (We cross sheet in medium to heavy air) . I took three wraps around the winch and still had about three feet of tail left over. I think that is the longest run you might anticipate. The sheet is thirty six feet long.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/16/2004 9:57 PM Pacific Time

Hey Dick,
You're right if you be talking' about nylon. The polyester I'm using is the same stuff made in brown in big sizes for sailing ships and antique yachts. Looks like hemp rope.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / 150 genoa sheet length