Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Dinette or Traditional

Author Dinette or Traditional
Jeff Junker
Evart, MI

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1987

Hull No. 13928

Hailing Port: Evart, MI
09/28/2004 6:56 AM Pacific Time

I just bought an '87 Catalina 22 which doesn't have an ice chest or dinette table. I notice when I filled out my owner profile for Catalina Direct that I had to choose between "Dinette" or "Traditional" for my cabin setup. So now I'm wondering if it was possible to buy a new 22 without an ice chest (next to sink) or dinette table. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm also wondering where I can buy an ice chest to fit in the empty ice chest opening next to the stainless steel sink.

Jeff
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
09/28/2004 4:25 PM Pacific Time

My C22 is from 1986 and has a trash compartment/bin next to the sink. I also have a cooler/step (Igloo) by the enterance. Table is on the port side and it drops down to form large berth. I guess my boat is "dinette" style. I hope I didn't confuse you.

"Spirit" #13485
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
09/28/2004 5:32 PM Pacific Time

Jeff, I was not aware that the 87 was offered without a table or ice chest. What do you step onto when you enter the cabin? Also, what does the port side settee look like? Is it a bench seat like the starboard side with back cushions, 2 bench seats facing each other, or just a wide bunk?
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
09/28/2004 5:36 PM Pacific Time

Now I am curious...

I have a 1974 C22 w/sliding galley on the starboard side, table amidship on port side....when I get in, I step onto the compartment for the volcano/keel cable...

Do I have a 'traditional' or 'dinette'??

Garrett
Jeff Junker
Evart, MI

Boat Name:

Hull No. 13928

10/04/2004 6:59 AM Pacific Time

This certainly answered some of my questions.

Artur,

I too have a trash bin where in the space next to the sink. So there is no ice chest intended for this space.

Michael,

I step on an Igloo cooler when I enter the cabin. Was there an ice chest in the pull out galley in earlier models with a wooden step?

There are two bench seats facing each other on the port side, not a bench seat like on the starboard side. I have a leg for the table still in the plastic bag, but no table.

Thanks for the info,
Jeff
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

10/04/2004 2:07 PM Pacific Time

It sounds like the only difference between my cabin and yours is the lack of a table in yours. I assume that also prevents you from using that space for sleeping. If you already have the leg, a piece of plywood and the metal hanger brackets are all you need to make the table and sleeping surface.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
10/05/2004 5:48 AM Pacific Time

Before you guys confuse each other anymore, remember that the Catalina 22 has gone throught many major redesigns, including cabin arrangements. Check out the sales brochures here. http://catalina22.org/manuals/index.htm. Look at the pictures of the cabin interiors for the different models.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
10/05/2004 5:52 AM Pacific Time

I don't know why the CD owner profile asks such a confusing question about the Catalina 22. They are supposed to be the experts. Perhaps in the Mark II version, you can chose a dinette or a traditional (whatever that is) cabin.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

10/05/2004 3:57 PM Pacific Time

Dick, my boat is a new style, 1986, and the hull number is about 300 less than Jeff's. According to the brochure for our hull numbers, Jeff should have a table and cushion. If the previous owner removed them (or lost them), he should still have the metal mounting brackets on the port side. I can't explain why Jeff's layout is different, but it wouldn't take much work or money to make it "standard" for its hull number.
Jeff Junker
Evart, MI

Boat Name:

Hull No. 13928

10/06/2004 1:55 PM Pacific Time

Interestingly enough my boat does have the table mounting brackets on the port side. But instead of a table there is a shelf mounted. The guy I bought the boat from was the second owner. He said the original owner told him the boat didn't come with a table, though I have the cushion that goes over the table to make a bed. Either the first owner somehow lost the table and bought another table leg (because the leg has never been out of the plastic bag) or he really didn't get a dinette table with his boat. At any rate, I will make a new table and install it next spring. I've looked at the owner's manuals, but I'm affraid this has shed no light on the original "traditional"/"dinette" style cabin mystery. Perhaps only Catalina Direct knows the difference. As for me, I'm happy to have a great sailboat whatever style cabin it may have.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
10/06/2004 4:15 PM Pacific Time

Jeff, call CD for the parts. I'm pretty sure they will be willing to help you with all the hardware for your new table.
Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Don
Yorktown, VA

Boat Name: Skweedle

Model/Year: '75 Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Hull No. 4821

Hailing Port: Yorktown
12/22/2004 7:26 PM Pacific Time

Jeff,
I made a dinette table from a quarter sheet of 3/4" oak an put the iron-on veneer around it. Sand well and 4 coats of poly later it looks great. I re-installed the original L brackets where it attaches to the cabin wall, if you don't have them they'd be pretty easy to fabricate. Also, I woodburned a salty looking compass rose into the wood before I put on the finish. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture, [email protected]
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
12/23/2004 7:25 AM Pacific Time

Hi all,
Maybe I can shed a little light on the Traditional vs. Dinette confusion. In 1984, I worked for a company (Florida Foam Products in Pensacola) that cut all the foam for the interiors of the 22's and 25's built at Catalina's east coast plant (then in Ft. Walton Beach, FL). The C22 had only one arrangement: Dinette. Diners in the forward seat face aft and those in the aft seat face forward. All C22's prior to the Mark II had the dinette-style seating to port. The question of Traditional or Dinette relates to the 25' (and, I believe, larger) Catalinas. We used a different set of patterns for each of the two layouts and that is how they were identified: Traditional and Dinette. The Dinette layout on those is similar to ours, but the Traditional layout has settees running fore and aft on BOTH sides with a drop-leaf table between. In the Traditional layout, diners face inboard with their backs to the boat's sides.
By this criteria, I guess you could consider the Mark II to be a Traditional (though with it's open layout, that's not really the word that springs to my mind), since it's certainly not a dinette and the arrangement most closely resembles the Traditional (sort of).
I'm not sure the new C22 Sport even HAS a table! I guess we may have to pressure Lowell to tweak his form a little ;^).
Fair winds, y'all,
and Happy Holidays!
Paul
Omaha, NE

Boat Name: Infinity

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1990

Hull No. CTYH5120F090

Hailing Port: Lake Cunningham
12/24/2004 6:15 PM Pacific Time

I just bought a '79 Catalina 25, and it has neither traditional or dinette! Well, sorta...its an 'L' shaped settee to port, with an adjustable table (up and down and swivels).
My wife and I think its the best of both worlds!
The only problem, unrelated, is that we cannot find a teak accordian door to go between the salon and head/berth. Any suggestions for where to get one of those?

Thanks all, and Season's Greetings!
Paul J
[email protected]
Omaha (yes we have lakes here)
Al
Eckhart

Boat Name: Gallivant

Model/Year: 88/C25TWK

Hull No. 5801

Hailing Port: Houghton, Michigan
12/27/2004 1:16 PM Pacific Time

Paul,

Get on the Catalina 25/250 Association web site. It has an archive of various posts that may help you. If not, there are dozens of helpful folks who will point you in the right direction for any quesion or problem you may have regarding your Catalina 25. Congrats on buying one of the best racer/cruisers ever made.

Al
Cat 25T
GALLIVANT #5801

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Dinette or Traditional