Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / swing keel dimensions

Author swing keel dimensions
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
10/02/2004 6:34 AM Pacific Time

As everyone is aware, finding a trailer for a C-22 is very difficult. I have located a trailer company in Norfolk that modifies trailers. In order to modify a trailer for a swing keel catalina-22 he need to know the exact LWL - which I know and the depth from the hull to the bottom of the keel when it is retracted. I told him the draft was 18" but he said the draft was from the water line to the bottom of the keel. I figured that would be close enough. So does anyone know what the exact measurement is from the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the retracted keel?

Also, is there a schematic of all the parts of the C-22? I know the major terms, gunwale, transom etc, but I don't know what a scupple is, a gungeon (sp?) , etc. As you can tell - I'm a newbie.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
10/02/2004 8:21 AM Pacific Time

Marie,

I think scupple is a typo: should be scupper-a drain for an area like the cockpit. Gudgeons are 1/2 of the set that support the rudder-gudgeons and pintles. The pintle is the pin that goes in the gudgeon to support the rudder. The dimension from the waterline to the bottom of the keel is much closer to 24 inches, but that is not exact.

Have him put on a set of rollers to carry the weight of the keel as the boat comes onto the trailer. That makes loading much easier in shallow water. The boat floats quite a bit higher when the 550 pound keel rests on the trailer as you load it (leave the keel down a turn). There is much less drag on the bunks that way (the carpet really grabs the boat, which is good for on the road security). The bunks are the 2 x 8 boards on the trailer supporting each side of the hull. The bunks make for good hull support, but adding rollers other places (where the hull is not flat-doesn't deform) helps you load. Mostly, that means rollers go on the centerline of the hull. Look into other trailer features. There are a lot of things that can make your loading less traumatic. The national forum has some trailer articles and links http://www.catalina22.org/

Joe
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
10/02/2004 1:31 PM Pacific Time

Joe, thanks for the info on the trailer. He wanted to know how much the keel hangs down (when retracted) from the centerline of the hull, not the water line. I think he is under the impression that it retracts completely into the hull, like other manufactures. Catalina does not. So I need to know that dimension. from the centerline of the hull to the bottom of the retracted keel.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
10/02/2004 6:22 PM Pacific Time

Marie,

OK, that dimension is 13 inches on our 1979, but I think they vary a bit.

Joe
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
10/03/2004 5:47 AM Pacific Time

It is 15" on the trailer for my '76.

But I don't think they are so hard to find. I bought mine on eBay and converted it from a bass boat trailer to my C22. :)

I made the rails a little too far apart at the bow and the keel guides too wide at the front also, but that didn't take but 30-45 minutes to change.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
10/03/2004 7:54 AM Pacific Time

Marie,

The keels vary, early boats had 15” wide keels & mine measured 17.5” on an early 1985 model. Most boats have adjustable slides for the bunks so you just need to be close on the measurements. Too high would be better than too low.

I just measure my trailer with out the boat on it, by laying a 2X4 across the bunks.

Front – Bunks 22” above the keel bunk with a 2 ½” inward tapered slope. (I measured the high side of the bunks so about 20 inches or 19.5 to be exact. That will leave a few inches or 1.5 inches of keel bunk clearance when the boat is set.

Mid Bunk – 18” with a 1” inward slope (That sounds too close, but that is the measurement)

Stern Bunk – 20” with a 1-½ inward slope.

So if you can imagine the bunks are curved low in the middle & tapered to the center of the boat. There is plenty of room using these measurements & I have to lower my keel a few inches to ride on the keel bunk. That is what you want, so you do not drag off the finish off the keel when loading.

Picture http://www.fleet47.com/keel_guide.htm

Cheers,

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
10/03/2004 6:02 PM Pacific Time

I would think that any of the larger manufacturers would know the dimensions , I got mine from performance trailers in west florida , I did have to add a 2x6 in each bunk to make it esier to load but that is very simple , I would also recomend that you get the optional centre line front roller , regards David M
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
10/05/2004 8:39 AM Pacific Time

I had a proffessionally built trailer with #501, I think it came from Joe Becker, in Tulsa. It had angle iron sloped toward the middle to guide the boat to the center as it cake out of the water. That was ok, but I added 2x12 to the angle and curved them for a more gentle at first then steeper angle. From then on I never had to worry if the boat was centered. I plan on adding that to the traier for #6448.
Al Gearing

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / swing keel dimensions