Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / kick-up rudder that has never been kicked

Author kick-up rudder that has never been kicked
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
10/21/2004 5:00 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1977 c22 with a kickup rudder and swing keel. It has always been in the water except for when she has been on the hard for bottom painting. Then she was lifted out at the boat yard. Now I want to get a trailer and pull her out for the season and keep her in my own yard. Since the rudder has never been kicked up - I see the nut is corroded. I am afraid that I might sheer the bolt - I haven't tried to loosen it yet. Has anyone tried to remove the tiller and pull the rudder off the boat instead of kicking it up?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/21/2004 6:48 AM Pacific Time

Marie,

I also have a '77 and I always remove the rudder before taking out and AFTER putting back in. Sometimes it can be difficult getting both connectors to fit and drop in... gotta wiggle it sometimes..... so I always attach a line to the tiller handle just in case I drop the rudder.
Good luck!
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Hull No. 6869

10/21/2004 8:07 AM Pacific Time

How do you remove the rudder?
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
10/21/2004 1:06 PM Pacific Time

I have C22 from 1986 and I always remove the rudder for the road.

"Spirit" #13485

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/21/2004 3:54 PM Pacific Time

Marie,

You have 2 female fittings on your transom (gudgeons)...they are spaced one on top of the other about 12-15" apart. your rudder has 2 male fittings (pintles) that slide into the gudgeons and keep the rudder on your boat. The rudder is held in place from accidently coming off the boat by means of a tang that locks the rudder in place on the upper pintle. In order to remove the rudder the tang has to be depressed so that it clears the gudgeon on your boat and the rudder slides straight up and off the boat.
Now...... sometimes that will require the strength of 2 people to wiggle the hell out of the rudder until it slides up. You do not want to trailer your boat with the rudder or outboard in place.
If you have a CD catalog you can see a picture on page 3.25...... or if you give me a fax number (off list).... I can send it to you that way. Good luck!
ken in sacramento
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Hull No. 6869

10/22/2004 4:18 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, I do have the CD handbook, and your instructions sounds pretty clear. I'll give it a try.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
10/22/2004 4:59 AM Pacific Time

Marie I would like to add one more instruction to Ken's great instructions. Be very careful while holding the tang againt the rudder as you are lifting it. The pintles often seem to bind to a point and then release suddenly. This causes the rudder to lift suddenly and crush the finger holding the tang, against the bottom of the upper gudgeon. Be very careful, once the rudder starts to move.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/22/2004 8:14 AM Pacific Time

Dick,

I thought your c22 is a 1977 vintage?? I see your profile say's 78??
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Hull No. 6869

10/25/2004 8:00 AM Pacific Time

It appears that the rudder assembly may have been modified with non-standard equipment at some point in the past. The upper gudgeon is not stock equipment. The tang sits underneath the gudgeon, it doesn't seem to have much function. The upper pintle goes into the upper gudgeon from underneath, and can not be lifted upward. The only way to take the rudder off is to remove the upper gudgeon, which doesn;t seem like a very good idea. But the good news is, I was able to loosen the bolt and kick the rudder.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
10/26/2004 6:11 AM Pacific Time

To Ken - The boat registration and title say 1978. The hull number fits into the 1978 vintage.

To Marie - You have a WEIRD setup. Any possibility, you could send me a photo of it? My address is phonetically, romeo tango kilo juliet romeo at bellsouth.net.

It is really amazing how folks can do strange things to fix something, instead of doing it right.
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Hull No. 6869

10/26/2004 11:18 AM Pacific Time

To Dick, I'll get a picture and send it off to you.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / kick-up rudder that has never been kicked