Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Outhaul...

Author Outhaul...
Derek Hewson
San Pedro, Ca

Boat Name: 2 be Determined

Model/Year: '80

Hull No. CTYH9637M80J

Hailing Port: Los Angeles, CA
10/26/2004 10:52 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone have a picture they can direct me to that has a photo of what the outhaul on my 22 is supposed to look like? Right now, she's just got the clew with a 10" piece of lina attached.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
10/26/2004 11:17 AM Pacific Time

you should be able to find everything your looking for at
http://www.catalina22.org/
Think about joining as well..
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
10/26/2004 12:50 PM Pacific Time

To Derek - I have a 77 vintage and it is the same as what you describe.

To Ken. I looked on the catalina22.org site - I couldn't find anything - what topic would I pick?
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
10/26/2004 1:48 PM Pacific Time

wow! looks like they have made some web site changes and the tips were placed in the members only section. A reason to join, but not the only one.

If you have a current CD parts catalog you will see the outhaul set up there both the internal and external.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
10/26/2004 11:53 PM Pacific Time

I'll paint you a verbal picture. I just installed an outhaul and I had a guy who had done over 20 ocean races (mostly Sydney-Hobarts or equivalent) sail on my boat over the weekend and he said that's all the boat needs.

The assembly involves two two-sheave blocks. The forward one has an S-hook attached, that hooks into the clew of the sail, and is loose (not fixed to anything)

The second has a becket (that the 8 mm line is attached to) and is fixed as far aft on the boom as possible. I slipped a shackle into theend of the sail slot in the boom so that the pin-end, with the round bits, slides inside - the body of the shackle stands up and formed a loop to which the block was attached. My boom has a "saddle" that was attached to the outer end to hold a topping lift, and so the shackle butts up against it and does not slide forward. The block is on the other side of the saddle.

With the two sheaves on each of the two blocks you've got 4:1 purchase - from the becket forward to a sheave, back to a sheave, forward to a sheave and back to a sheave, then forward to the cleat on your boom.

I had considered internal fittings, and running the lines through internal turning blocks cut into the top aft and bottom forward of the boom then run a line back to the cockpit, but I figured it would weaken the boom.

The assembly worked really well on my test run in 23 knots of wind. Having the S hook means I can also use the same assembly for a flattening reef to a cringle about 4 inches up from my normal clew. This replaced a 2:1 purchase that was inadequate.

Paul
Robert Leach

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/28/2004 6:57 AM Pacific Time

I have a diagram and picture of my outhaul setup on my web site: leachs.com. I had a boom end fitting custom made which has a sheave in it where the outhaul spins around from the clew of the main and enters the boom.

Robert
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
10/28/2004 7:13 AM Pacific Time

I put an internal on #11660 with much the same hardware as our Ausie friend Paul used. His idea of using it for reefing also sounds good. CD has two, an internal with the same hardware as above, which they call the 'Bullet Proof' because Gene Fergusen owner of #160 was the first to innovate it. Gene has done a lot of things like that for ease of use because his wife, little Cathy, has been his crew for years, and they win. So if you're looking for the easy to use type I would suggest the 'Bullet Proof' design.
Al Ge

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Outhaul...