Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / traveler car

Author traveler car
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
10/28/2004 8:22 AM Pacific Time

I have a traveler attached to the transom, with 2 thumb screws for adjustment. I just noticed a traveler car in the the CD store. Anyone replace the thumb screws with the traveler car? Good move or not?
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
10/29/2004 5:42 AM Pacific Time

I have never used the CD traveler car but all there products are good quality, my boat already had a moving traveler car with two control lines so that I can raise it and dump it at will. I cannot imagine sailing without it. I could never play the puffs without the fast easy adjustment of the traveler. Hope this help Philip
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
10/30/2004 5:24 AM Pacific Time

The thumb screws are an abomination. The CD traveller car is one on the best deals in their catalog. Go for it!
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
10/30/2004 7:41 AM Pacific Time

Hello,
I have a traveler on the stern of my boat, too. I have no idea what it's for, or how to use it. As you can tell, I am a newbie, but I've been out in the worst of the worst, almost, weather w/winds whipping the sails out of my grasp when trying to lower them.... Was so unnerved that while pulling into the fairway to get in position to back into my slip, I went headlong into the concrete wall when I tried, too quickly, to shove into reverse...stalled the engine...Bang.
I know that the traveler couldn't have helped in that situation, tho!!!!HA.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
10/30/2004 4:35 PM Pacific Time

Linda,

The point of the traveler is to shape the mainsail. If you have a strong wind, you want the car to be downwind, so that you are pulling the sail flatter: in other words your pull on the mainsheet is more vertical. If the traveler is under the boom, it pulls the sail straight down and tight (which reduces drive and heeling) as well as holding the boom position. If the traveler is up wind (to the side), it is very easy to pull the boom into position without tensioning the sail, which allows a full sail shape for light winds (gives more sail drive).

Joe

Joe
Bill Reed
Palm Desert/San Pedro, CA

Boat Name: Makai

Model/Year: 27/1979

Hull No.

Hailing Port: San Pedro, CA
05/27/2008 11:08 AM Pacific Time

Hello everyone,

my first time in a msg board, ever. I have a '79 Catalina 27 in very nice shape, except for some of the running rigging, which for the most part is in really great shape, except for the MAINSHEET TRAVELER CAR.
The car istself is also in like new condition, except for the (nylon?) rollers (wheels) that keep it on the track. Sorry if I'm not using the right terms here.
I've been to Catalina (Marina Del Rey, the co.) and they do not have any suggestions. I went to Minnes, in Newport Beach, Ca and they did not have a replacement either.
I did notice the wheels look like they come off and might be able to be replaced.
Any suggestions? This is the only thing keeping me from leaving the slip (under sail).
Thanks in advance,
Bill
PS: if anyone has an Atomic 4 gas engine, I just rebuilt mine and I would be happy to help anyone considering or already doing the same.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / traveler car