Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / quick release for lower forward shrouds?

Author quick release for lower forward shrouds?
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
10/30/2004 7:40 AM Pacific Time

Our lower forward shrouds are attached to the deck using shackles with clevis pins. The clevis pins are secured using those small little curls of wire. Is there something else I can use for the curls of wire that are quicker to pull out? I'm trailering - Putting those in and out of the pins is a big slow-down. We've already found a quick release method for the forstay.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
10/30/2004 11:55 AM Pacific Time

You've got several choices for the forward lower quick disconnects , Nancy. If your shrouds end in a stud (rather than a loop), you can use the same device on the forward lowers that you use on the forestay (for $50 each). If they end in a loop. you can buy new shrouds (you are due if they are original equipment), and get the forward lowers that end in a stud
Or get part F on page 4.11 of the CD handbook. It is a quick release toggle ($8.60 each) that has a flat bar on a post at the end of the clevis pin. It works sort of like a toggle wall anchor. This will eliminate the looped cotter pin you hate, but you will need to tension the turnbuckle each time.

Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hull No. 10448

10/30/2004 4:50 PM Pacific Time

Checked it out. A great idea. We'll get a couple of them.
Thanks, Nancy
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
10/31/2004 7:59 PM Pacific Time

If your interested I have a pair that I would sell.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
11/01/2004 7:14 AM Pacific Time

I'm interested if Nancy is not.

"Spirit" #13485
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hull No. 10448

11/01/2004 10:04 AM Pacific Time

Ken, yes I'd like them if they're like the ones in the book with little tilting flat things that go through, then flip out to hold the clevis pin.

Contact me at [email protected]

Thanks
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
11/01/2004 8:08 PM Pacific Time

Artur,
contact me at [email protected]

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / quick release for lower forward shrouds?