Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / On the Fly adjustable genoa cars

Author On the Fly adjustable genoa cars
Kevin Fish
Clearwater, Fl

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/07/2004 10:34 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone ever figured out a way to make the genoa cars adjutable by attaching a line to the car, running it around a block, and cleating the line off back by the cockpit? That way you could adjust the genoa shape while you've got the genoa on that side of the boat, without having to unscrew and scew down, or pull up the spring pin.

To move the car to far forward i have to leave the cockpit and completely let out the genoa.

I was thinking of replacing my thunbscrews with threaded eyes, but am worried about failure.

I also thought about welding on somekind of hook to the car.

Any ideas or thoughts would be kewl.

Thanks
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
01/08/2004 7:11 PM Pacific Time

Catalina Direct has quick release cars that fit our odd sized tracks which makes it much easier. What your describing is on a Nelson Merick I race on. You can go to the Harken website and they have layout outs as you described under comp u specs. Philip Chicago

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/08/2004 8:42 PM Pacific Time

Phillip:

What i'm wondering is if anyone has altered or adjusted the cars already on the catalina 22 (mine have thumbscrews)

I'm looking at trying to cheaply rig a system like system one on the Harken/ tech corner/Deck layout cruising 22' to 28'/genoa leads page, system A.

http://www.harken.com/rigtips/genoa.php

I just don't want to have to give Harken that much money!

But there has to be a way to set up something similar. The problem is finding a way to fasten the line to the genoa car.

He He
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
01/09/2004 7:18 AM Pacific Time

Instead of buying an expensive Harken system, here is what I did. for each genoa sheet. I added a Harken 166 Bullet block attached to another track slide, forward of the genoa sheet block. I added a cam cleat w/line guide to the side of the cabin near the aft end. The genoa sheet is routed through a thimble on the end of a control line that in turn runs through the block back to the cam cleat. When I need to change the sheeting angle, I pull in or let out the control line. It is lot harder to describe than to do. I plan to take a picture of the set up this weekend. Send me ([email protected]) your email address and I will send you one. I don't have a web site on which to post it.
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
01/09/2004 3:09 PM Pacific Time

Dick

So what you have done is to add tweekers to the Genoa sheets? Am I interpreting this correctly?

Erv Zimmerman
Adventuring C22 #1787
http://www.fleet130.org/
Http://www.crcasail.org/

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / On the Fly adjustable genoa cars