Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / FIXED KEEL RUST (EXTENSIVE) PLEASE HELP!

Author FIXED KEEL RUST (EXTENSIVE) PLEASE HELP!
Derek Hewson
San Pedro, Ca

Boat Name: 2 be Determined

Model/Year: '80

Hull No. CTYH9637M80J

Hailing Port: Los Angeles, CA
11/03/2004 12:27 AM Pacific Time

Just purchased an '80 fixed keel. Hauled her out today, so went to pay her a visit at the yard after work. The yard seemed to do a great job of pressure wash but the fixed keel seems to have extensive rust! I have pictures (wish I could post them here). I am scared to death I'll have to put her down!
Wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with this? I am not far into the boat, as far as investment (picked her up for $800.00) so I am not sure if I should dog out, or can I repair well enough to keep her. Any opinions, tips,tricks would be greatful!

Derek Hewson
California
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/13/2004 7:41 AM Pacific Time

Derek,
It looks like no-one has answered your plea for help, so I thought I'd try. I don't have a fixed keel, but I did have TORCH a one off design in LA harbour from '78 to '92, some of the boat yard people may remember her, quite a history of changes.
Now to your delema, keep the boat, it will be worth it. It doesn't sound like you will be racing so the bottom does not have to be a 180 grit finish, 50 or 100 grit would do you fine. Pot marks in iron, or the fiber glass hull, can be cleaned out with a large twist drill bit ground with a flat angle so it will cover as large and area as possible and not go in deep. Then just drill out the holes until the are clean enough to be bonded to with epoxy, not poly-ester resin. Once the holes are filled with the epoxy, which is filled with a high density filler, just sand and fill until it is as smooth as you feel like making it. If the yard insists on doing it all it could be two man days of work, maybe three. Thinking that you probably have it back in the water, I guess this maybe too late to help. Sorry I didn't see this a month ago.
Al Ge
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
12/14/2004 6:29 PM Pacific Time

Dear Derek,

I have a 1987 Catalina 22 fin keel in Santa Cruz, north of you. I waited years to find a fin keel on yachtworld.com. It's a lot more stable on the Pacific than a swing or a wing.
My advice is also to keep her. They're hard to find...

Charlie

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / FIXED KEEL RUST (EXTENSIVE) PLEASE HELP!