Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / rollers instead of bunks

Author rollers instead of bunks

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/11/2004 8:21 AM Pacific Time

bill
c22 swing keel 1997 model year
Can you substitute rollers for bunks? Rollers could be placed high enough to keep retracted keel off trailer. Sufficient number of hull supporting rollers could be placed to prevent unwanted flexing. Fiberglass motor boats are trailed this way. Is the hull of the c22 reaaly that much weaker so that bad flexing would occur. Advantage is that deep immersion of trailer wheels -even with trailer extension--would not be necesary to float boat on to trailer since float on would no longer be required. This would be real advantage in brackish water where even copious post trail rinse with fresh water hose cannot prevent corrosion from salt.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
11/11/2004 9:57 AM Pacific Time

Hi Bill,

I am using 3 rollers under our keel. The aft one is about one foot wide. I also added a roller forward on the centerline. We still have the stock bunks on each side for good support and they keep the hull on the trailer without completely depending on the bow line. When loading the boat, we leave the keel down about one turn of the winch, so that the rollers are taking the keel weight. This makes a terrific difference in friction. We can now load with the bunks just barely under water. It takes a lot of winch force, and I have a very heavy, spread out reinforcement inside of the bow for the bow eye. This is a 2"x16"x3/8" or so stainless strap epoxy bedded into the bow.

If you want to load with the trailer even higher, you would probably need to provide a ramp, preferably pivoting like an easy loader setup.

I can send pictures of our setup if I have a place to send them.

Joe
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
11/14/2004 2:11 PM Pacific Time

I use rollers on Reflections - 38 of them. I still immerse the brakes though.

See https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/c22maint.htm

for "Roller bunks on Mawang" for a similar setup to mine.

Paul

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / rollers instead of bunks