Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Installation of radio and antennae

Author Installation of radio and antennae
---Turk ---
Canfield, Ohio

Boat Name: Miss Kitty

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 3520

Hailing Port: Mosquito Lake, N.E. Ohio
01/10/2004 7:01 AM Pacific Time

Looking to add a radio to my new boat and would like some recommendations on a ship mount radio. I've been searching the internet for different brands, but I'm a little confused with the features. 25 watts seems to be the standard. I assume I should look for "scanning" ability and weather channels. What about controls on the mike? Also, how difficult is it to mount the antennae and feed the line down the mast. I'm a newbee here, is there anything I need to be aware of inside the mast that could cause me problems? How does one feed the line through?

I'm also open to anyone who has a radio for sale, just email me at [email protected].
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
01/10/2004 9:23 AM Pacific Time

I just bought a cheep radio & the antenna wire fished thru the mast easy. Some use a PVC conduit; I ran a string down the mast with sponges tied off to cut down on vibration & chafe. (External Halyards)

It I were offshore sailing the quality of Radio would be a greater factor. Where I sail a cell phone is the best rescue device.

Pray for me, taking the girls scouts sailing today,

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Karl Mielenhausen
New Bern, NC

Boat Name: Impromptu

Model/Year: C22 1985

Hull No. 13021

Hailing Port: Northwest Creek Marina
01/10/2004 3:03 PM Pacific Time

I recently purchased what I think is an excellent radio choice. It's the JRC VHF200. Features compact size, channel selector and instant channel 16/9 selection on the mike. Also is DSC enabled, meaning that it will issue a distress call with the push of a button and broadcast your position if connected to a GPS or LORAN. I plan on mounting it above the starboard-side shelf, under the aft window, and mount the mike just inside the companion way. Here are more details on the radio:
http://deeptronics.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/961
I saw it even cheaper ($80) on Sailnet last week but they must have sold out.
Good luck!
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
02/10/2004 12:10 PM Pacific Time

Hey guys, You need to score a West Marine catalog. The 2004 just came out. In this catalog they give a lot of information on the products they sell. At the start of each section i.e. VHF radios, they tell you all the features and what they think of them.

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Installation of radio and antennae