Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Compression post damage

Author Compression post damage
Don
Yorktown, VA

Boat Name: Skweedle

Model/Year: '75 Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Hull No. 4821

Hailing Port: Yorktown
12/18/2004 5:49 PM Pacific Time

Howdy,
First post, thanks for any help. My compression post has pushed down and cracked the fiberglass where it is mounted (just forward of the foward dinette seat). Looks like maybe the mast compressed a quarter inch or so. Not sure if it is structural or cosmetic. Cabin top seems fine at mast attachment point (tabernacle?) No history on the boat, got it for free from somebody who got it for free, and so on. I'll send digital pictures to anybody who has dealt with this specific issue. Thanks again,
Don
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
12/19/2004 6:01 AM Pacific Time

Hi Don - I have dealt with the type of damage you have suffered. It happened on my previous boat (6614). Unfortunately it is structural and will get worse, if not repaired. Please contact me at (phonetic) romeo tango kilo juliet romeo at bellsouth.net. Please send pictures to that address as well.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/19/2004 11:38 AM Pacific Time

Don,
Dick will probably have some good photos, but on 501 I cut a 4'' hole saw hole in the side of the trunk on the aisle side and found the post underneath had tipped, leaving a void for the post to sink into. I was fortunate in that I could feel the gap from the seat side by putting my hand up under. That is why I was fairly certain that the 4'' hole would do. If it requires more than that I would suggest a side grinder to remove a good 1' x1' panel so that you can work on it. The panel can be replaced by epoxing a lip on the inside around the opening and then when that is cured replace the panel, fair and paint.
With the 4" hole I was able to fit a piece of wood into the wedge shaped void, wrap with epoxy soaked glass, shove it into place and it was then solid and my compression of the mast stopped.
For what it's worth,
Good luck,
Al Ge
Don
Yorktown, VA

Boat Name: Skweedle

Model/Year: '75 Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Hull No. 4821

Hailing Port: Yorktown
12/19/2004 4:01 PM Pacific Time

I was afraid it was structural. Dick, I'll send digital picks Monday. What's keeping it from crushing down further? Keel trunk under the liner?
Don
Howard Friedman
Pisgah Forest, NC

Boat Name: Forspacious Seas

Model/Year: Wing - 1989

Hull No. 14907

Hailing Port: Lake Keowee-Seneca, SC
12/27/2004 10:16 AM Pacific Time

I replaced my compression post on my old "76". I accessed it by grinding away the glass and putty forward of the front edge of the keel trunk on the side under the bunk. It looked like they had jammed an old piece of 2x4 lying around the boat yard into the space and bonded it in place with a putty made from glass fiber and resin. It was not glassed in with any cloth which is why the keel housing cracked away from it while working under load.

I didn't have to remove material all the way up to the pedestal as the putty only went about 2/3 up the wood post. The post is laid in at a slight angle fore and aft. The whole job doesn't require much expertise but it does involve a lot of time bending over the bunk-on your knees- and breathing resin fumes. I would suggest a respirator. I used also would recommend using an epoxy putty.

If you go in under the bunk you will not have to worry about cosmetic repairs.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
12/28/2004 7:45 PM Pacific Time

You guys are bringing up some interesting questions. On my '74 there is no compression post (!) or any sign that one was ever there. On the top of the swing keel trunk there are no holes or any sign that anything was ever there but you guys indicate that not only is there supposed to be a compression post there, but also a further post inside the keel housing going down to, I suppose, the hull. Is this correct?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

12/29/2004 6:57 AM Pacific Time

On my '74 there is no compression post (!) or any sign that one was ever there. On the top of the swing keel trunk there are no holes or any sign that anything was ever there but you guys indicate that not only is there supposed to be a compression post there, but also a further post inside the keel housing going down to, I suppose, the hull.

If there is no compression post (a decorative piece of wood extending from the cabin overhead to the forward end of the forward dinette seat), then there is no support for the mast loads on the deck under it. The wood inside the arm rest is not normally visible, because it is covered by the lower liner that forms the seats bunks etc.

You must have the post in place or you risk serious damage to the deck under the mast. Look at the cabin overhead directly under the mast (inside the cabin) and see if there are two holes there. Also examine the deck under the mast and see if it is depressed. Finally, does the rigging on the leeward side of the boat, sag significantly, when you are going up wind in a moderate to heavy wind? It is possible that the post was removed by a previous owner and the mast step is simply bolted in place. NOT GOOD!!!!!

Catalina Direct sells a replacement post. I suggest you get one.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

12/29/2004 7:02 AM Pacific Time

Sorry Dick R - I copied part of your message to make sure I got all your points. I meant to delete it before I hit SUBMIT. This clubhouse format makes it hard to do a "reply." If you haven't already, I recommend you join the "Catalina 22" list sponsored by Chip Ford.
Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
01/03/2005 6:03 AM Pacific Time

If you need a compression post, I have one that I can sell. I bought it a few years ago, when I thought that mine was bad. Mine was OK, and I never installed the new one. I will sell it to you for 50% of the current price CD is now charging for one, plus actual cost S +H. If interested, please contact me at [email protected]

Vic

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Compression post damage