Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Standing Rigging

Author Standing Rigging
Greg Rohde
Placerville, California

Boat Name: I sold it

Model/Year: 75'

Hull No. 4640

Hailing Port: New home in Medford, Oregon
01/21/2005 6:51 PM Pacific Time

I'm looking for information on Standing Rigging length & size. I understand CD has complete rigging upgrade kits, but am wondering if if I can do better having them made or making them. I'm on a big-time budget..
This forum has been a huge help already on my 1975 project of 3 weeks. Thanks all of you!

Greg
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
01/22/2005 7:57 AM Pacific Time

Greg:

As you are replacing your shrouds and stays, you may wish also to upgrade your chain plates to half inch, assuming they are not half inch already. You can tell their diameter by the size wrench required on the nuts. If its 3/4 inch, then you have half inch chain plates.

You probably should also put in the Catalina Direct stem reinforcement kit for the forestay, which may also require a new bow eye.

Further, assuming you don’t mind the potential difficulty, an additional chain plate onto the transom for a backstay adjuster is probably a wise addition at this time as well.

If you think a furler may be in your future, a forestay with a toggle at the top and a stud at the bottom will be necessary.

Also, if you have the older style oval mast, as opposed to the newer flat sided model, your spreader brackets and spreaders may require upgrading.

My feeling is to compromise between having Catalina Direct supply your forestay and backstay, preferably with the backstay adjuster kit, and then make up your own shrouds, although time and expense wise, I think you’re best just using everything supplied from Catalina Direct.

Nevertheless, I think you are trying to determine how much 1/8 inch standing rigging wire you will need to obtain on a spool.

So for your boat, which is a pre-‘85 vessel, and has swagged eyes at each end, the measurements that follow are from the inside of the curve of the thimble, as though stretching the wire between two nails. These measurements are based upon a “Catalina 22 Standard Rigging Check” dated 9/23/76 blueprint style diagram that came with my boat. I have every confidence this is correct FOR A PARTICULAR STYLE OF TURNBUCKLE, but as I do not know which style of turnbuckle (Catalina has used several types), take these measurements only as a guide for your vessel. Use your old stays and shrouds for precise measurement with whatever adjustments required for new turnbuckles if you replace the old ones.

Headstay: 26' 3"
Backstay: 28' 4 1/4"
Upper shroud: 25' 2 1/4"
Forward lower shroud: 12' 8 ½"
Aft lower shroud: 12' 10 ½"

So, for determining how much wire to obtain, I wisely add at least a foot for swagging and round out these measurements:

Headstay: 28'
Backstay: 30'
Upper: 27' (2)
Forward lower: 14' (2)
Aft lower: 14' (2)

Therefore, you will need: 28 + 30 + 27 + 27 + 14 + 14 + 14 +14 or 168 feet of wire, before mistakes.

Assuming two sleeves per swag, you’ll need 32 copper sleeves. Also, stainless thimbles to the extent you are unable to save the old ones. Not to mention a swagging tool and special wire cutters.

So, I hope this is helpful, and good luck in your projects.

Greg Rohde
Placerville, California

Hull No. 4640

01/22/2005 8:44 PM Pacific Time

Bayard,

Thanks for the reply. That's the info I needed to make my decission. I am planning on a chainplate upgrade, and fabricating a bow support for the eye & the deck hardwear. I have a backstay adjuster but have'nt rigged the boat yet. What's involved with adding a chainplate to the transom? I'll look at the spreaderts too!
If you have time, take a peek at my cockpit troubles posting and let me knoe if you have any ideas.

Regards, Greg
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
01/23/2005 1:25 AM Pacific Time

Greg, last spring I upgraded to the adjustable backstay and the new-style stainless steel spreader brackets. I documented the projects in detail on my Chip Ahoy website (along with a multitude of other upgrade and improvement projects). You'll absolutely NEED my essential directions on installing the spreader brackets if you decide to do it, as none come with the CD kit and you'll go crazy reinventing the wheel as I had to do. (That's precisely why I created the installation instructions PDF file when I got done!)

I bought Chip Ahoy two years ago last month for $2,500 and now have almost $18K and countless hundreds of labor-hours into it, so there's not much I haven't done (and documented) to the old boat. I recenlty ordered a new (complete) standing rigging kit from CD, which I'll use to replace the old shrouds come spring; I'm awaiting delivery. I was told it's cheaper to order the full kit than just the shrouds. I replaced the backstay last year with the adjustable one (and added the additional backstay eyebolt) so didn't need that, and I added a Furlex roller-furler so didn't need the new forestay that comes with the kit. (I've already got an offer on it, so it's sold.)

If you're thinking about doing anything, make sure you check out my Chip Ahoy website first -- I've probably already been there and left behind a blueprint for you and others!

Stem Reinformement Kit:
http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_11.htm

Backstay Eyebolt:
http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_10.htm#eyebolt
http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_12.htm#eyebolt
http://chipford.com/backstay_bolt.htm

Spreader Brackets:
http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_9.htm
http://chipford.com/spreader_brackets.pdf

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Catalina 22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
01/23/2005 1:53 AM Pacific Time

"I am planning on a chainplate upgrade..."

Greg, make sure you see "Precisely the wrong way to install them"!
http://chipford.com/chip_ahoy_10.htm

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Catalina 22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website:www.chipford.com

Greg Rohde
Placerville, California

Hull No. 4640

01/23/2005 7:41 AM Pacific Time

Chip,

Thanks for responding. I've looked pretty extensively at your website and really appreciate all the work you put into documenting your re-fit. My vessel (at this time un-named) is in very close to the same condition as your's was.
She was on the side of the road, a mess. I paid $1500 to a gentelman who bought her a year old, and limped off home.
I've stripped out the interior, dried the sails, replaced the cockpit drain hoses, cleaned & dried her out. My trailer's bunks were rotted out & she was resting on the keel, so I replaced those first. The keel needs some work, but the bolts, pin, winch and cable look ok. So I'll drop it late in this coming season.
My plan for now is to re-bed the deck hardware upgrading the chainplates, taking care of the bow as I said. Look over all the standing and running rigging, check the mast (upgrading the spreaders), re-wire some electrical (looking into led's..have you tried them?) and figure a plan for my cockpit issue. The hull and decks are in good shape. That's about what my budget will allow for the time being. I'd like to remain married!
I'm really excited about it all though. I've been involved with boats all my life, and sailed for many years mostly in small boats. Thanks again for your efforts..I'm quite sure I'll be in touch as I trudge the road of happy destiny.

Regards, Greg

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Standing Rigging