Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / new table latches

Author new table latches
Brian Moloney
Gunnison, CO

Boat Name: Vilingia

Model/Year: 1994 Wing keel

Hull No. 15330

Hailing Port: Gunnison, CO
01/28/2005 5:03 PM Pacific Time

I just sent back the table latches from CD - couldn't get them to work.

The wall brackets for the table on my boat have small holes in them. I put threads in them with a 3/8 inch tap, then screwed in a 3/8 inch thumbscrew. The metal piece on the table fits in the slot in the wall bracket, then I just tighten the thumbscrew against it. Seems pretty solid!

Brian Moloney
1994 wing, #15330
Dan Schafer
Traverse City, MI

Boat Name: SeaBatical

Model/Year: C22 / 1983

Hull No. 1577

Hailing Port: Grand Traverse Bay
01/29/2005 7:15 AM Pacific Time

Brian.....
Dan Schafer
Traverse City, MI

Boat Name: SeaBatical

Model/Year: C22 / 1983

Hull No. 1577

Hailing Port: Grand Traverse Bay
01/29/2005 7:18 AM Pacific Time

Brian.... I've gotta do something with my 'unstable table' this spring. This sounds like the easiest and cheapest solution that I've come across [so C22 owners have gone to some elaborate measures]. Thanx for the tip
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
01/30/2005 7:28 AM Pacific Time

Dan: drop me a note so I can add you to our Michigan C22 Fleet list. [email protected]

I just trimmed a piece of wood to about 3/8 thick and the width of the gap between the table top and the teak trim strip along the shelf. Jam the wood piece in there and the table is solid.

Mike
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
01/30/2005 9:27 AM Pacific Time

When I first got my 22, the table would come loose just by setting something heavy on one of the corners near the companionway. I noticed that the angle brackets that slip into mating straps on the wall had projections near the bottom end that are supposed to engage the wall straps to keep that end of the table from lifting. But apparently someone had lifted on the table end before removing it from the straps causing the angle brackets to be bent so their angle was slightly more than 90 degrees and the projections now easily slid thru the straps. I formed the brackets to an angle of slightly less than 90 degrees. When the table is installed in the brackets, the free end must be kept lower than the end by the wall. Once in the straps, the outer end of the table is lifted and held up by the leg. That securely engages the projection below the strap and it cannot lift out. I have not had a problem in the 5 years since I did that.
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
01/30/2005 11:18 AM Pacific Time

If your problem with table latches has to do with the table tipping when someone enters the cabin and puts their weight on the corner of the table, I have a simple solution that I picked up years ago from this site. I have a stick of wood about 3/4 in square and about as long as the table is wide. This goes on the table top and against the wall. It fits snuggly between the table top and the wooden strip along the storage shelf. It is held in place with a couple of Velcro tabs. It's easy to install and remove and goes on the shelf right above the table when the table is in use as a bed.

Austin Cooley
Wings of the Morning
Richard Bernstein
Lake Champlain, Vermont

Boat Name: Trillium

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 14130

Hailing Port: Charlotte, Vermont
01/31/2005 6:36 PM Pacific Time

As a winter time project (not enough to do up here in Vermont) I built a little cabinet out of 1/2 inch stock and 1/4 inch luan plywood. It is about as long as the table is wide, is high enough to jam against the underside of the deck, is held in place by a couple small dowels into the table top so is easily removable. and holds a wallet, cell phone, pens and note pad, little camera, and, most importantly, a cribbage board! There is a little space between the back and the inside of the hull that fits a couple folded charts. sure would have been easier to jam in a board and I'd have had more time to go skiing!
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
02/01/2005 12:01 PM Pacific Time

Can you send me a picture of your project ? sounds like a good idea. maybe send a picture to the national asso for the tech tips.

Thanks- Bill

[email protected]

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / new table latches