Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel pin WASHER question

Author keel pin WASHER question
Joe Cockrell
Charleston, SC

Boat Name: Natural Selection

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12936

Hailing Port: Charleston
02/07/2005 4:53 AM Pacific Time

Would it be better to use stainless steel flat washers between the hanger and keel, rather than the direlin washers provided by CD? The direlin washers are too thick and there is not enough space for them to fit on my boat. I can make stainless flat washers fit snug. It seems like the direlin would wear fast anyway. Would there be an electrolosis problem if I used stainless steel washers?
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
02/08/2005 7:29 AM Pacific Time

Stainless steel does not have great corrosion protection when submerged in salt water. Delrin is pretty durable, has self lubricating properties and won't corrode. Why not get some coarse sandpaper and work the thickness down until they fit?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
02/08/2005 8:15 AM Pacific Time

Hi Joe - I was wondering how you came to need to replace the washers.
Joe Cockrell
Charleston, SC

Boat Name: Natural Selection

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12936

Hailing Port: Charleston
02/08/2005 10:41 AM Pacific Time

How did I get to this point? My pin hole was worn and elongated, so I bought a bushing from Catalina Direct and had a machine shop install it. There were no washers on my pin to begin with. The delrin washers I got from CD were too thick. I tried grinding one of them down with a grinding wheel and ruined it. I could'nt make the thickness even all the way around and ended up going too thin. I don't see how it could be hand sanded. I got two SS washers from the boatyard shipstore and they will fit snug. I'll probably just go with that. I don't see another choice.
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
02/08/2005 8:20 PM Pacific Time

Hello Joe,
I had exactly the same problem with my boat. I used stainless washers. After 13 months in brackish water, they looked like the day I installed them. Sail on!

ljp
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
02/09/2005 6:04 AM Pacific Time

Hi Joe - Do you have the new style hangers? You can tell because, the inside faces are not flush with the sides of the keel trunk. I suspect that when they were installed, the inside faces were not machined enough to allow space for the delrin washers. Another possibility is that the keel was refinshed and thickness was added in the area of the pin.

All this being said, I agree with Louis, sail on. Stainless doesn't like a mixture of water and air. Your pivot point is below the surface so there is no air.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel pin WASHER question