Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Need advise on installing snaps for pop top enclosure

Author Need advise on installing snaps for pop top enclosure
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
02/09/2005 8:57 AM Pacific Time

Anyone out there installed snaps for a pop top enclosure? I have an 87 c22 that I just found an enclosure for on this forum but now I need to install the snaps on the boat (never had them before).

Thanks!
[email protected]
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
01/09/2006 5:17 PM Pacific Time

Hi Stefan,
I also have an 87 but they are called the "New Style" since the Mark II didn't come out for another ~9 years.
If you already have the female snaps that have a center screw, I would use a small drill as a starter for them and go around the pop top one at a time with the pop top up all the way. Keep the ones that you screw in snapped.
Mine are fairly tight and takes some work to snap them when with the pop top is down.. As a matter of fact, it's so tight that I don't think that I can easily raise the pop top with the top enclosure snapped on.

Bilbo
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
01/09/2006 6:13 PM Pacific Time

The only other thing I want add is to watch out for too low or too high temp outside. I noticed that my vinyl "tent" expends and contracts a great deal if exposed to any temprature outside the normal, sprin/summer range. Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
01/10/2006 7:12 AM Pacific Time

An added suggestion. Bed your new snaps as you would anything that protrudes through the fiberglass. I, personally use 4200
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
02/24/2006 5:41 PM Pacific Time

Funny thing, I actually got the cabin cover snapped and raised with tremendous effort last summer.. It never really fit properly, especially around the hatch entrance. While on my last sailing venture, I decided to put the enclosure on at night. It was fall.. Temperature is definately a fit factor! At the time I did not consider this to have much salt,.. so I "grunged" it forward and tried to zip it (using pliers to hold the zipper thingy..) and broke the zipper mechanisim.

On that note, has anyone attempted repair on a heavy duty zipper such as this?

Commenting on an earlier post to this thread: To fix the enclosure situation, remove and MarineTex all fastener holes. Put the pop-top up, position the enclosue, then drill (aforementioned in this thread..) and fasten each snap, working alternate sides of enclosure (port forward snap, starboard forward snap, etc..) while applying enough tension untill all fasteners are bedded and snapped. This explative is actually a question..? Does anyone have experience ?

Thanx to ALL who share information and experiences! I can really get "visuals" from some of the contributions.

PS "Grunge" is herein defined as "to fit by force".

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Need advise on installing snaps for pop top enclosure