Cruising Issues

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / CRUISING TIPS TO FACILITATE C22 CRUISING

Author CRUISING TIPS TO FACILITATE C22 CRUISING
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
03/17/2005 10:10 AM Pacific Time

Hello:
I would like to start a new thread that would deal solely with ways to facilitate C22 cruising. I have seen too many people get turned off to cruising on a small boat just because they had bad experiences the first one or two times that they tried it. I would like this thread to provide suggestions to help newbies adapt to small boat cruising. There are many good suggestions to be found scattered about in other threads however, hopefully this will become a primary listing of suggestions from those who have gone through both the pain & pleasure of becoming experienced at C22 cruising. So lets hear about some good cruising tips.
Philip & Sharon Merlier "Swizzle Stick"

Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
03/17/2005 4:58 PM Pacific Time

When preparing to venture out on a week long Catalina 22 cruise with your spouse, before departing the dock on the first day, have a conversation with your spouse where both recognize that about mid-week there is a chance that tempers will get short that may put a good marriage to the test.

You and your spouse should recognize that the cramp quarters of a Catalina 22, the constant hot sun, the limited mobility, the late night flushing of the porta-potty, and the stress of being in a new environment may all challenge a good marriage marriage.

Avoid yelling and be sensitive to the needs of your spouse.

Being on a boat for an entire week while in a "fighting" mode with a spouse does not sound like fun. Recognize that a week long cruise may indeed test the limits of a good marriage. Recognize warning sign of a conflict, avoid the conflict, and you'll really enjoy the Cruise with the one you love.

Rich Fox
SePlaire #14411
Westfield, IN

PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

03/18/2005 9:45 AM Pacific Time

Working together as a team. In general I have to say that the time that Sharon & I spend on our extended cruises has been some of the best times of our married life. That said, I must admit that we have our stressful times on occasion. We have discussed these issues and have come to the conclusion that a lot of problems would be eliminated if we plan each day TOGETHER. We try to go over the chart together along with our planned courses and alternatives in case conditions change. We both do the navigating, however, in tricky situations I often manage the sailing of the boat while the navigating falls entirely to Sharon. If we have gone over the chart before hand then she knows better what is expected and can perform her functions much better in the stressful times. As we are sailing I also try to explain my rational for doing certain things so that we both remain in tune. Also before hauling the anchors in the morning and before setting the anchors in the evening we discuss our plan of action so as the minimize confusion during the process.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
03/18/2005 12:07 PM Pacific Time

I am going to introduce myself as a "newbie," and look forward to the information coming from this discussion group. My wife, Jeanne, and I were given a 1976 C22 about 2 months ago, which we are systematically refurbishing with the help of CD. We're still trying to come up with a name. The C22 may seem tight and cramp but compared with a Slipper 17 (which is what I've been sailing), the C22 seems absolutely huge.
Peter and Jeanne
Daytona Beach, Florida
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
03/19/2005 4:24 AM Pacific Time

One of the things MaryAnn and I learned on our first multi-day cruise is that we should have practiced roles in certain sailing operations BEFORE weather hits.

MaryAnn is a newbie to sailing, and, as a former sailing instructor, I should have thought about the dangers of having an inexperienced person on deck in a blow.

She had seen me reef sail several times before (I don't have single line reefing), but when a line squall hit us in the shipping lane of the St.Lawrence, I couldn't leave her on the helm because of the shipping traffic and numerous shoals that she didn't know about. So she went on deck, and the tension of rounding up in puffs with a freighter to weather and a shoal to lee meant I yelled a lot. Not angry, just scared that she would get knocked over, but it sure dampened the rest of the cruise.

Since then, we have practiced reefing, emergency dropping of sails and anchoring, singlehanded docking, etc. This summer, we'll practice man-overboard recoveries, use of the VHF. Like everything else, this stuff takes drilling, but if you do it in calm conditions, with laughter instead of barked commands, it will be better and safer for all.

One final thing I learned as a teacher. Drilling means that you don't just do it until your mate does it right once. You do it until he/she is comfortable from several successes and the motions are becoming natural/instinctive from several different variations of the same situation.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

03/20/2005 6:19 AM Pacific Time

How To Keep The Water Out Of The Boat: When you are living on your C22 the last thing that you want is to get your bedding, clothes, and other gear wet. It seems that many of the C22 models have a sliding hatch whose leading edge forms a wind scoop which catches any blowing rain, sea spray, and waves that may wash over the boat. Initially I used to stuff a towel in the crack from the outside (and I still do this when trailering) and then I graduated to stuffing a big strip of window air conditioner foam in the crack from the inside. Both of these methods worked marginally however it makes it near impossible to slide the hatch while in use. We finally came up with our SEA HOOD design which has proved to be one of the most important pieces of equipment on the boat. We sewed a piece of Sunbrella material into the shape of a trapezoid. I suppose you could use some other material such as plastic tarp material as a temporary measure. The leading edge is 42 inches across. Each side is 47 inches long. The trailing edge is 54.5 inches. The sea hood covers the cabin top from the mast back to the majority of the sliding hatch. There is a 13 inch marine grade bungie permanently attached to the grommet in each corner. The forward bungies hook to the base of the stanchions that are even with the mast and the trailing edge bungies hook to round loop headed bolts in the side of the cabin near where the aft side of the cabin meets the deck. As extra insurance we loop a seven foot long marine grade bungie through each cabin top hand rail (as far forward as possible) and across the cabin top on top of the sea hood. This prevents waves from washing up under the hood. We have attached a small float to the long bungie (using plastic pull ties) to prevent its loss in the water since they are expensive. This arrangement allows one to still use the sliding hatch while the sea hood is in use however not one drop of water will ever come in through the crack between the leading edge of the hatch and the cabin top. If anyone is interested in making such a sea hoop and wants more information you may contact me at: [email protected] I might even be able to come up with a photo.
Philip & Sharon Merlier "Swizzle Stick" Fellsmere, Fl
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

03/21/2005 5:26 PM Pacific Time

Drip, Drip, Drip - What to do about the drips of water that seem find there way into your boat in foul weather? For us keeping the inside of the boat dry is a priority when we are cruising so we try to be prepared for the drips that occasionally occur despite our efforts at preventative maintenance. We have a simple solution. We carry a couple of tarps or pieces of the heavy duty plastic used on construction sites to cover all our bunks and gear whenever we expect foul weather. We pile our bedding and gear higher towards the walls and front of the cabin. When we lay the tarps or plastic over the bunks and gear we shape it so that it all drains onto the cabin floor and consequently into to bilge. This works especially well for drips from the front hatch. One of the tarps that we use doubles as a tent over the boom whenever we are at anchor in the rain. As long as we use the tarps & plastic we always go to bed dry.
P.S. In regards to the sea hood mentioned earlier --- if we had it to do over again we would use plastic hooks or brass clip hooks on the bungies. The marine grade stainless hooks made for bungies can be rather dangerous if you accidentally let go of one while under tension.
Philip & Sharon Merlier "Swizzle Stick" Fellsmere, Fl.

PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

03/25/2005 12:41 AM Pacific Time

Plush towels that never dry --- What to do? Leave them at home. It always seems impossible to get thick towels dry especially if you are sailing in a salt water environment. Before you know it you have a mass of stinky wet towels blessing your cabin. Solution: take small, very thin towels. We have found the best ones to be blue surgical towels. Two or three can be sewn together if you want a bigger one. They dry you and the boat very well and they dry completely in the sun. They also take up practically no space. I don't know what they are made of. Just about everyone has at least one relative who works in the health care field. Those blue towels which used to be sent to the laundry and reused are now thrown away (I suppose it is cheaper). They are used in all kinds of procedures and the majority never come in contact with patients. The unsoiled ones can satisfy a multitude of uses such as the best possible boat towels. Ask around and see if you can find a source for these cast offs. You will be surprised how well they work.
Philip & Sharon Merlier
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
03/25/2005 6:54 AM Pacific Time

Regarding towels:

I like the chamois clothes which you can buy in a plactic, clear tubes. They are good for anything and when you are thorugh with them, you can roll them up wet, put them in the tube and forget them. If they dry out, wet them and they'll become drying clothes instantly. I keep mine in the starboard cockpit coaming to get rid of the morning dew, and dry whatever is handy that needs drying and I'm not going to eat from. Sometimes I might do that, too!

Larry

Larry
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
03/25/2005 1:41 PM Pacific Time

garbage bags... For trash bags we use the bags the grocery store uses to bag everything up, we will look at them make sure there are no holes then wad them up and stuff them in a small kleenex box, we can stuff enough for a week in the small boxes.

water bottles...The gallon size Arizona Green Tea bottles are very heavy and make great water storage bottles.
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
03/25/2005 4:47 PM Pacific Time

Keep 'Em Dry?

I have always relied on those clear plastic bins to keep clothes and food dry on our Catalina 22. You can easily load the plastic bins with food and clothes from inside the home, and quickly load them on the boat.

My wife and I each use one bin for our clothes.

On the boat, the bins are stored in the V-berth and in the starboard aft berth.

Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
03/26/2005 7:23 AM Pacific Time

I agree that thin towels make more sense on a cruiser. We bought a cheap beach towel on one trip - a splashy orange print on black background. It seemed to heat up quicker in the sun and dry quicker than the other towels. Still looking for cheap towels in solid black, but this color seems to be only available in plush, expensive towels. Maybe navy blue or maroon would work as well?
Doug
gig habor, wa

Boat Name: Noeta

Model/Year: 1987 C34

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Tacoma, wa
03/26/2005 8:19 AM Pacific Time

Dry Bags &
Garbage bags: For longer cruises we use a dry bag that we bought at REI. The bag is made of heavy waterproof vinyl coated nylon. The bags are tough enough that I can use my foot to pack down the garbage, close the top and toss it in the quarted berth. Empty it when I get to a dock. Rinse it out and start over. In 4 seasons it's never leaked or punctured.
These bags can also be used for carrying water, swimming ashore with dry clothes, carrying ice from the store....
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

04/09/2005 11:25 PM Pacific Time

Cruising and Cooking --- They do go together despite what some people think. While cruising you can eat just as well if not better than you do at home. In fact the social atmosphere and the increased availability of time can make it a very enjoyable experience. We have found that a Coleman two burner propane stove (that uses the small canisters of propane) to be a very good way to cook on our C22. We always cook in the cockpit. This minimizes mess in the cabin and also reduces heat and humidity in the cabin. We have constructed a partial wood box (with a high back; diagonally cut ends, and a low front edge) which the stove lives in while setup. A couple holes drilled along the top of the back of the box allow us to hook a bungie cord to the box and around the jib sheet winch while the box sits on the cockpit seat. This keeps it from falling off the seat in unstable conditions. We have two little wedges which we place under the back of the box to level it. Once the cruise has started we leave the stove permanently setup to reduce the chance of propane canisters leaking when disconnected. During the day when we are sailing the box and stove are moved below in the cabin. The box is just wide enough that it can be placed across the companionway (from seat to seat) on rainy days. This allows us to cook from the dry comfort of the cabin while the stove sits outside. The box can double as a fish cleaning station if you get lucky trolling. We have found that while cruising we can cook just about anything that we cook at home. While in the Bahamas last summer we even cooked pizza, cake, and bread on the stove.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
04/11/2005 4:38 AM Pacific Time

Here's a recipe I use on "Ricochet". This does well on my two burner propane stove.

Scallops Primavera Over Fettucinni Alfredo

1/2 lb. Fettucinni Noodles
1/2 Jar Prepared Alfredo Sauce
3/4 lb. Scallops
8 Baby Carrots, Julienned
1 Medium Onion, thinly sliced
1 Broccoli,Florette, Trimmed to use only flower portion
1/4 each Red and Yellow Bell Pepper, diced 1/4 in.
1/3 Cup White wine
3 Tbs. Butter
1Tbs/ Minced Garlic
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes.

Bring large pot of water to a boil. Note I have a pot that just hold a metal callender. I boil the water with the callender in it. Add Fettucini noodles. Cook until done al dente.

Meanwhile, saute onions and carrots in skillet with the butter. When onions are translucent, add broccoli and bell peppers. Cook For five minutes. Add wine, scallops, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until scallops are just done.

Drain fetuccini, return to pot and add Alfredo Sauce. Stir to coat pasta and heat sauce. Place on plate and top with scallops from skillet.

Serves two with a hearty meal.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

04/11/2005 11:48 PM Pacific Time

Countless uses for electrical wire ties (also called zip ties). We use plastic zip ties for all kinds of things on our C22. Have your ever had a hard time pulling the pin on a snap shackle that has worn out its lanyard. Just put a zip tie on the pull pin ring and you will be set to go. They also work well to hold on the rubber boots at the ends of the spreaders. They can also be used to insure that the knots in plastic (polypropylene) line don't come undone since they tend to loosen up. We also use them when trailering to secure loose wires and also the loose tails of the tie down straps.
I have been told that the black plastic pull ties are much more resistant to the sun's drying effects however I have had very good luck with the white ones (sometimes lasting years).
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

04/12/2005 11:37 PM Pacific Time

Spring loaded kick up rudder. When cruising I often find myself in areas that look like a mine field of lobster and crab pot bouys. I occasionally slip up and get them caught on my rudder which often results in the rudder kicking up. Unfortunately this often happens at the worst possible times (strong wind or currrents or limited sailing room). The goal is to get the bouy off, get the rudder back down quickly, and have it stay down. I have devised a system that facilitates this. I have placed several plastic zip ties around my lower pintle. Then I have added several bungie cords (about 12 inches or so) that are hooked to the zip tie ring on both sides of the lower pintle (the bungies are stretched around the trailing edge of the rudder). This system not only makes it extremely easy to push the rudder back down into place (the bungies act like a spring) but it also keeps it there without having to reinsert wooden dowels etc.. I usually get the bouy untangled from the rudder using a boat hook that I keep in the cockpit and then while my crew holds the tiller I step onto the boarding ladder and give the rudder a shove with my foot and off we go. My setup is very primitive but VERY effective. I believe that if one had the time a more durable and better looking similar setup could be made and possibly marketed. I will be going on a cruise in a few weeks and could take a few photos of the rig if anyone is interested. Contact me at: [email protected]
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
04/13/2005 6:12 PM Pacific Time

Phillip,

We are looking forward to seeing you and Sharon (and your rudder :^). I'll make SURE we get pictures. Last years NGCC, we ended up with two CD's... over 1400 pictures!

BTW, it is true that black tie straps are indeed more UV tolerant. Aircraft electrical tech orders specify the black ones for any wire bundles exposed to sunlight for that very reason.

See ya in a few weeks,
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

05/18/2005 10:22 PM Pacific Time

Securing Your Rudder === On a recent cruise I was remined of why I started securing my rudder to my boat by attaching a safety line to it. Sooner or later eventually almost everyone ends up drifting backwards over a shoal. That is when you rudder is lifted straight up and out of the gudgeons despite the retention spring. If you don't have it secured with a line or a tight grasp it will go straight to the bottom. I have always just tied a line around my tiller however some cruisers have found a better way. Replace the straight bolt that attaches the tiller to the rudder head with a large stainless eye bolt. A line can then be easily attached to the eye.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

05/26/2005 11:39 PM Pacific Time

Conservation of electricity while cruising. One significant way to conserve electricity while cruising is to use the large flashlights that use six volt batteries to illuminate the inside of the cabin or the cockpit area during night time activities instead of the standard 12 volt cabin lights. The six volt batteries seem to last forever. When in the cabin just set the flash light on a flat surface so that it shines on the ceiling. You will be surprised how well it lights up the entire cabin. When in the cockpit just set the light on the sole so that is shines on the under side of the boom and mainsail. By saving electricity in this way you insure that you have adequate juice in your battery for safety related instruments such as the VHF, depth finder, etc..
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/10/2005 11:55 PM Pacific Time

Storm sails: When cruising you often find yourself sailing in less than ideal conditions. The wind is almost always too light or too strong. Light wind just exercises your patience. Strong wind must be delt with or else you risk stressing your rig, and your relationship with your crew.
The storm jib that I use most is a 75% jib made of 6 ounce material.
Measurements: Luff = 22 feet
Foot = 9 feet 2 inches
Leach = 17.5 feet
There is also a 3 foot 2.5 inch wire lead at the head of the sail.
This sail when combined with a second set of reef points in the mail sail keeps me comfortable in 25 knots of wind.
When using this sail I often rig a downhaul line on the jib for use in case the wind picks up even more and things start to get out of control before I can get it down. The downhaul also holds the sail close to the deck once the sail is pulled down. It also allows you to tighten the halyard so that it does not flop around once the sail is down in case you can't make it to the foredeck.
I also have an even smaller storm job (about 45%) which I use on rare occasions to get me to safety when the wind is even stronger and I really should not be out there anyway.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
06/12/2005 6:14 AM Pacific Time

In reference to conserving electricity.

I received one of those induction flashlights today for Father's Day. I am leaving tomorow on a 7 week cruise from the Chesapeake Bay to Provincetown MA and back tomorrow. By the way not on Ricochet, but a Hinckley 43.
A group of us do this every 5 years.

I'll report back on the light when I return.

To all you dads, Happy Father's Day
Jan P.
Grapevine, TX

Boat Name: Being Time

Model/Year: 1974 C22 Poptop/swing keel

Hull No. 4244

Hailing Port: Grapevine
11/13/2005 7:29 AM Pacific Time

One way to facilitate cruising is to attend a sailing for fun event. There is less stress for those new to sailing since there are other sailors around to help out.

In addition to the Catalina 22 cruises, there are trailerable sailboat messabouts, rendezvous, etc. in just about every part of the country. The TrailerSailor website has several that have sprung up: Mead Madness at Lake Mead, NV, in the spring, BEER (Backwater Environmental Escape Rendezvous) in the Florida panhandle May or June yearly; BOOTS (Bail Out On Texoma Sailfest) full moon weekend in September), the first national event (PIKL?) is going to be in June of this year at Kentucky Lake.

You get to admire all kinds of boats, all trailerable, usually, and learn new rigging, techniques, and stories of commiseration of when things go wrong. I highly recommend doing something along this line that is just fun, short-ended (most are a weekend), and often in familiar waters if you live near there.

Also, for the spouse who isn't as into sailing, or isn't as experienced, provide them with opportunities to learn all of the roles. There are classes JUST for women (no yelling) that are taught by women. There are women racers who are willing to teach crew. There are couple classes where you can learn together. I think communication is an even bigger deal on the water than off. Taking time to practice helps. Take turns with the helm and the other roles. There are alot of times it makes more sense for the woman to be at the helm, while the guy does some of the things that require more strength.

Cruising Issues
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Issues / CRUISING TIPS TO FACILITATE C22 CRUISING