Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Linkage - rudder to outboard

Author Linkage - rudder to outboard
Daniel Davis
Hulmeville, PA

Boat Name: No Time

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel 1982

Hull No. 10772

Hailing Port: Lanoka Harbor, NJ
03/26/2005 10:19 AM Pacific Time

I seem to recall someone a while ago linked the tiller or rudder to the outboard so to assist in steering under power. I thought I saved the post, but can't seem to locate it. Any others have information or opinions on this topic?
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
03/27/2005 6:44 AM Pacific Time

There is a company that produces just such a system it is not cheap however a couple hundred at least as I recall I saw them advertising in the back of a sail magazine.
Daniel Davis
Hulmeville, PA

Boat Name: No Time

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel 1982

Hull No. 10772

Hailing Port: Lanoka Harbor, NJ
03/29/2005 3:20 PM Pacific Time

Thanks, but I know it saw a do-it yourselfer somewhere. It was a pretty simple thing.
Russ Devans
West Seneca NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne Ontario Canada
05/21/2005 9:49 PM Pacific Time

I have my outboard linked to the rudder. There are a number of Ideas you can use , run a search on the internet. Thats where I got my ideas from ,there are also pictures online. I made a long u-shaped bracket that mounts near the top of my kick up rudder on the aluminum plates it extends out past the rudder about 4". at the end of the U, I installed an eye bolt with lock nuts(a small eye). I have a 6hp mercury outboard on the bottom of the power head there are a couple of drain holes. I installed an eye bolt in the drain hole. The eye bolt on the rudder is linked to the eye bolt on the outboard by a piece of 1" PVC pipe
Russ Devans
West Seneca NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne Ontario Canada
05/21/2005 9:57 PM Pacific Time

In each end of the 1" PVC pipe a snap swivel is bolted through the pipe and snap eye. The end of the PVC pipe is notched out to fit the snap eye into and a bolt is run through all making the snap fast to the pipe. you now have a pipe with a snap swivel on each end. this you connect to the eye on the motor and rudder. the size of the eyes is important they must just fit one another they are small. It works good and can be taken off easily when sailing. It makes navigation in tight areas easier. about $10.00 to make.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Linkage - rudder to outboard