Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel pin - adding the CD bushing to the keel

Author Keel pin - adding the CD bushing to the keel
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
03/28/2005 10:09 AM Pacific Time

Hi all...
Successfully removed the keel from my boat using the CD video instruc. I found that no real wear was seen on the pivot pin or hangers, the pivot pin was loose (like freely moves in and out). I've assumed that some deterioration in the area/wear is to blame so I've ordered up the bushing from CD.

Any experience in installing this? Can it be so easy as boring very close to the OD of 1.25" and carefully urging the bushing into it's new home? Can I simply reuse the old pin & hangers?

thanks!
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
03/29/2005 5:42 AM Pacific Time

your going to need to have your keel in a machine shop in order to have the hole bored out and then have the bushing pressed into place. Most opt to install the keel spacers and pin washers instead. Not as good but much more do-able. Good luck!
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
03/30/2005 4:47 AM Pacific Time

I put a bushing in myself without a machine shop. Got a brass bearing 4" long, 1" ID and 1.25" OD for $4.20. Drilled the hole with a drill press, a 1.25" hole saw and lots of WD-40 with about 40 minutes of slow drilling. "Pressed" in the bearing with a hammer and block of wood. Epoxied it and cut off the ends to length with a Sawzall. Leveled and finished the ends with an angle grinder and a file.

I'm sure a machine shopl would have done better, but I did it myself with the tools I had, and I'll be happy until I'm a good enough sailor that I know it's the boat's fault, not mine. :)
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
03/31/2005 7:13 AM Pacific Time

The keel spacers and pin washers do not replace a "wallowed out" pin hole . Many of us have just cast epoxy (marinetex or similar) around the new pin with release agent on it, no problems so far in 4 years . You then also may need spacers and washers.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
03/31/2005 3:05 PM Pacific Time

Stefan - I get the impression you think there's a lot of wear just because the pin slips in and out. People go to the trouble and expense of bushing the hole where there is considerable deterioration of the hole, so that the gap is visually noticeable. From your boat year, you have a new style, like mine. I've got a lot of lateral swing in the keel when the boat's on the trailer, so I checked the hole. It wasn't visually too bad, so I put it back together and went sailing instead. I get the impression now that our new styles may be designed so that the head of the keel wedges into the keel trunk when lowered, since I don't have any movement in the keel when it's down, only when it's raised and on the trailer.

Paul
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
03/31/2005 3:08 PM Pacific Time

Another thing - If you have the new sleeve and a pin, even without fixing it to your keel, you'll notice there is quite a gap between the ID of the sleeve and the OD of the pin. Fresh out of the box from Catalina Direct, the pin I bought moves freely in and out of the new sleeve and there is a lot of wiggle room.

Paul
Louis Plaisance
PRAIRIEVILLE, LA

Boat Name: Saint Benedict

Model/Year: C22/1988

Hull No. 14686

Hailing Port: Lake PONTCHARTRAIN, LA
03/31/2005 6:24 PM Pacific Time

Hello Stephan,
Unless the author has owned both the old and new style boats, be careful of advise given. Your boat, like Paul has noted is different and improved over the older boats. Do not install the CD keel shim kit without measuring the slot first. Most likely you will not need it. Do not even try to install the keel pin plastic washers. They are for the older boats. As for the CD keel bushing, as Paul noted, it likely has as much slop as the keel pin hole you are wanting to repair. I did all three of the above and have regreted each one.

Good Luck
ljp

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel pin - adding the CD bushing to the keel