Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / "weeping" spot on wing keel

Author "weeping" spot on wing keel
David
Fairport, NY

Boat Name: 2nd Chance

Model/Year: Catalina 22 Wing Keel 1999

Hull No. 15108

Hailing Port: Pultneyville, NY
04/02/2005 7:59 AM Pacific Time

I have a fixed wing keel C22 and found a 1" round spot near the hull bottom that was "weeping" water, when I pulled it at the end of last season. To relieve the water, I scrapped around the edge of the spot and that seemd to relieve any water trapped in side. There is a grey material under the paint. It almost looks like a putty material that someone had used to repair this in the past. I am the 3rd owner and probably will not be able to get the history on this.
Is the keel cast with fiberglass formed around it?
Do I have to grind out the spot and re-fill it? Any recomendations on what to use?

Thanks,
Dave
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
04/03/2005 7:06 AM Pacific Time

Hello:
I also own a wing keel. If the weeping spot is near the bottom of the hull then the area involved is only fiberglass. The grey material that you have scrateched down to is the grey gelcoat that is used on the bottom. The actual lead keel is only the bottom 1/2 or 2/3 of the entire keel. It is bolted to the fiberglass stub which extends down from the hull. The lead part of the keel is only coated with some type of white gelcoat or paint. You probably can see some exposed lead if you look under the bottom of the wing. Invariably some is exposed from running aground or dragging the boat onto the trailer.
Hope this is helpful. Philip
David
Fairport, NY

Boat Name: 2nd Chance

Model/Year: Catalina 22 Wing Keel 1999

Hull No. 15108

Hailing Port: Pultneyville, NY
04/03/2005 4:18 PM Pacific Time

Philip,
Thanks for the info. Have you done any repairs and if so, what product do you suggest?

I assume that I will need to grind out the area, fill it in and
gel coat it?

Thanks,
Dave
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
04/04/2005 6:14 AM Pacific Time

Hello:
I have not needed or done any major repairs to my keel. I have filled some minor dings in the leading edge of the lower keel with Marine Tex which worked well. If a major repair to the fiberglass were necessary I would grind it out and use resin & glass mat and then grind it and apply gelcoat and then buff it. When I had to do some structural strengthening inside the hull with resin, mat, and roving I first purschased an instructional video tape from West Marine which was a good introduction as to how to proceed. It is messy but not too hard to do.
Philip & Sharon Merlier

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / "weeping" spot on wing keel