Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Sailing on Puget Sound

Author Sailing on Puget Sound
Jean Cummins
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Boat Name: Solace

Model/Year: Swing Keel - 1979

Hull No. 8263

Hailing Port: Nepean Sailing Club
04/06/2005 8:22 AM Pacific Time

I might move to Seattle and I am the owner of a Catalina 22. I wonder what kind of sailing conditions (wind and waves) I can get out there. Anyone who can help me or give me some advice?

Thanks!

Jean
Doug
gig habor, wa

Boat Name: Noeta

Model/Year: 1987 C34

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Tacoma, wa
04/07/2005 6:35 AM Pacific Time

Well, there's the good and the bad-
The good news is that there's a ton of great places to go. Downtown marinas, secluded wilderness gunkholes, and everything in between. Check out http://www.nwboating.com to get an idea. Waves aren't generally an issue, but we can get some decent current in places. If the wind and current are wrong you'll get some standing waves, but usually nothing that you can't deal with if you're a prudent sailer.
The bad news is the wind. The best months for being outside (July August) are the worst months for wind. Spring and late Fall are better for wind, but also better for storms and cold temps.
Still, there's usually some great sailing every afternoon all Summer and great places to go. Al in all it's a great place to own a boat.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
04/07/2005 8:57 PM Pacific Time

When most people say Puget Sound they really mean the San Juan Islands. 173 named islands mostly uninhabited. Think of it as paradise with a coat and no lobster traps.
Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Boat Name: Windward

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13812

Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
04/07/2005 9:31 PM Pacific Time

Doug's right--best winds in fall, winter and spring. The Catalina 22 does pretty good in light winds, however and I always find enough days to make it worth my while. All in all, a great place to sail.

One other caveat if you are an overnighter. We can get a seventeen foot swing from high to low tide. That means you need to take extra care when anchoring to allow for enough scope at high tide.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Sailing on Puget Sound