Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing keel rebuilding issues.

Author Swing keel rebuilding issues.
Robert Thomas
Wakefield, RI

Boat Name: Nautigirl

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: QDNYC, N. Kingstown, RI
04/10/2005 5:45 PM Pacific Time

Hello All,
I pulled the keel out of my 22 today. Don't have the video, just winged it and it was fairly easy. Here is the problem though. The pivot hole in the keel is pretty worn out. It no longer is round, more like triangular as it is worn about 1/4"-3/8" in the direction that the keel would pull in both the raised and lowered positions. Thats a bad description I suppose but I don't know how else to say it. I would like to know how worn is too worn for an epoxy/sleeve repair. Do I need to get this thing to a machine shop to have it bored and new material pressed in then drilled or is it possible to have it welded up? Any input would be great. Thanks, RT
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
04/11/2005 5:21 AM Pacific Time

I recently refaired my keel and did not do the bushing route. What I did do was fair in the CD keel shims and added the keel pin washers. The keel pin washers were very tight and I ended up needed to sand one to make it all fit. My keel now has no side to side play or rock. with the keel pin washers being so tight I did fear their might being a binding problem but I raised and lowered the keel 20 times with the 7" of room I had with the boat raised on the trailer for the keel removal, so I believe it should work without issue. I will be going in the water Friday so I will be able to let you know if this method was successful at removing all the keel slop and slap.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
04/11/2005 6:56 AM Pacific Time

I highly recommend the bushing job. Check a couple machine shops and get estimates. It is a pain, mostly because of the size of the keel. If you do it right now, it wont need to be done again for a long, long time. If it is worn that much, it needs to be fixed. I have no experience with the epoxy method so I dont know if that would work in your case.

Mike
Robert Thomas
Wakefield, RI

Boat Name: Nautigirl

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: QDNYC, N. Kingstown, RI
04/11/2005 6:40 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the input. I have an appointment with a marine welding shop tomorrow to see about having the hole filled and rebored. They have a mag drill and said it should be no problem. RT

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing keel rebuilding issues.