Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Electric outboard engine

Author Electric outboard engine
Moe
Phoenix

Boat Name: catalina

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/25/2005 12:11 AM Pacific Time

Hi,
Need help to decide on buying a Minn kota trolling motor to use as an outboard on my C22 on a lake where only electric outboards are allowed. Can these trolling motors be used on sail boats. Any experience with that. What shaft and power to buy. I looked at RIPTIDE 80Lb thrust 24 volt 46 or 52 inch shaft. Is that enough for a c22. How do I connect the batteries. Any help is appreciated. I am new to this stuff.
Thanks, Moe.

Kevin Jay Clark
Grandview, MO

Boat Name: Bompa's Girl

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1979

Hull No. 8716

Hailing Port: Lake Jacomo, Missouri
04/06/2006 7:20 AM Pacific Time

Howdy Moe,
This is Kevin, we bought a '79 C22 last fall. At that time the only thing I had for power was a SMALL Minkota (18 lbs. thrust) so we gave it a try. Now this is out first larger boat (I used to sail a force five many years ago) and we hadn't been sailing for over ten years so we were not in any great big hurry. However I was amazed at how well this little thing can push the boat. Somewhere I read that a 50 lbs. thrust equalls about 3 to 5 hoursepower. I have absolutely no idea if that is correct but the fishing people should be able to tell you. Since this was a tempory thing I just set the battery in the bottom of a case and set it in the foot well. Good luck, Kevin

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/23/2006 6:51 AM Pacific Time

I would also ne interested in what you find out about electric motors. I have a 17 pound thrust I tested on a small inflatable, but it just wasn't enough power to handle the combined effects of small current, wind, and small chop.
Terry
Atlanta, Ga

Boat Name: Fish Eagle

Model/Year: C25 1983

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/11/2009 6:53 PM Pacific Time

We use a minkota 70lb thrust on Lake Allatoona. It works. There was only one day last fall when we decided the wind was too much to get us out of the marina. (The wind was blowing me back while walking)
Reverse is trickey. Haven't tried over nites with SWSC, but we will this summer . Are looking into a solar pannel to keep the 2 batteries recharged while off dock. Charge for running the boat lat July-Jan was $6.57. No gas fumes and engine noise.
Chris Carobene
Morristown, NJ

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22 1988

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
05/24/2012 1:17 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone had any experience with the Torqeedo Travel 1003? I need to get in/out of marina and don't use engine for long.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/24/2012 1:17 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone had any experience with the Torqeedo Travel 1003? I need to get in/out of marina and don't use engine for long.
Bill Braun & Christine Sammel
Evanston, Illinois

Boat Name: Da Doo Run Run

Model/Year: 1989 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14840

Hailing Port: Wilmette, Illinois
06/28/2012 7:06 PM Pacific Time

We don't have experience with the Torqueedo personally, but a friend of ours has one on her Cape Dory Typhoon, a 19 footer weighing about 2500 pounds. She takes it out into Lake Michigan, and it seems to push her boat with no problem.
If you get one, please publish if you like it or not. We've been toying with the idea of getting one for a long time and would be interested in hearing your impressions.
Christine & Bill

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Electric outboard engine