Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Mast rewiring

Author Mast rewiring
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Boat Name: Santorini Baby

Model/Year: C-22/1985

Hull No. 13302

Hailing Port: AquaLand Marina, Lake Lanier, GA
04/30/2005 8:57 PM Pacific Time

Is there any way to rewire the mast & replace the lights without stepping the mast?
Bob Endicott
Fleet 77- Ft. Walton Beach, FL

Boat Name: Tequila Sunset

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12759

Hailing Port: Ft. Walton Beach, FL
05/01/2005 5:21 AM Pacific Time

Dear mystery poster,

Not unless you're a spider monkey with a strong electrical background. :^)

Seriously, Don't make a big deal of dropping the mast. It's done easily with two people and to equipment or one with homemade mast-stepping gear. Re-wiring a mast is challenging enough at home on sawhorses.

Bob
Scott L. Shermeyer
Cherry Point, NC

Boat Name: Blue Nun

Model/Year: C22, 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Cherry Point, NC
05/01/2005 7:20 PM Pacific Time

I've had my mast up and down oodles and noodles of times...including to rewire the masthead light fixture. I would seriously suggest dropping the mast (not literally) in order to rewire... you'll want to clean up the fixture, replace the bulb, make sure that the teak is spruced up, check your sheaves, etc.

I've used a 50' fish tape for some masts, or I'll send a messenger down the tube ( a small diam. string with a lead weight attached) and let gravity do the work. Or, if there is an existing cable, use it to pull either a messenger or the new cable down thru the mast.

Either way, make sure that you properly seal connections at the base and at the masthead. 12 Volt DC circuit likes very little resistance, and therefore corrosion from sea and salt is very aggressive. Also, check West Marine's catalog or website for proper 3% voltage drop for the round trip distance for this circuit. Properly size the conductors in your cable, and only use marine grade tinned conductors. Since this cable competes inside the mast, it's imortant to protect the outer jacket of the cable, or you'll end up doing this job again, sooner than you anticipated.

Regards,
Scott
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Hull No. 13302

09/14/2005 7:08 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, decided to rewire the hull first, I replaced the panel easy enough, but turns out the fuses were old but fine. Still don't have adequate voltage level at the mast connector so I want to fix that first. I will wait till fall when it cools down a bit.

Thanks for the advice on sealing I'll be sure to do that once I have the mast stepped. Just for grins how long did it take to do the job. This boat did not come with a trailer...
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
09/14/2005 8:31 AM Pacific Time

Marshall,

Where are you located at Aqualand? I am at T-52 and would be more than happy to help out. I'm doing a lot to my boat Pog Mo Thoine! and have a bit of understanding about C-22s now.
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Hull No. 13302

09/15/2005 6:41 AM Pacific Time

I'm at ZB-6, got the boat this past november so like most new boat owners I've started to throw a lot of money at it. Lately, my electrical changes have been put off for a bit, I've been distracted by a slight leak I have been unable to track down that leaves a good bit of water in the bilge after the storms we've had. The guy next to me is also a C-22 owner and been quite helpful.
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Hull No. 622

09/15/2005 7:07 AM Pacific Time

Marshall,
Contact me at [email protected] I have some info that may help with your leak and other things. Are you a cruiser or racer?
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Hull No. 13302

09/16/2005 10:07 AM Pacific Time

Just enjoy cruising. I'll send you an email later.
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Hull No. 13302

09/28/2005 6:40 AM Pacific Time

Looks like the leaks I have are there whether it is raining or not. 1 inch / week.
Lance sent you an email
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Hull No. 622

09/28/2005 7:11 AM Pacific Time

Re read an earlier e you posted. It seems that it may be your keel lock down bolt if the water is accumulating there.
Marshall Johnson
Alpharetta, GA

Hull No. 13302

09/29/2005 6:45 AM Pacific Time

I will have to look, I have never seen it in looking in the compartment in front of the dining area at the area around the compression post. Does every C-22 have one?

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Mast rewiring