Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Handheld vs Fixed VHF

Author Handheld vs Fixed VHF
---Turk ---
Canfield, Ohio

Boat Name: Miss Kitty

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 3520

Hailing Port: Mosquito Lake, N.E. Ohio
01/13/2004 8:31 AM Pacific Time

I've gotten into a discussion with my brother about what is more usable in a VHF radio for my cat22. He recommends a good handheld radio because of the flexibility using it inside and out of the cabin. He said to still put up a mast antenna to get the distance, but praises the portability on board and in dock.

Fixed units remain in cabin, but lets face it, you can still hear it. Less prone to get wet and much more power.

Any thoughts?
Karl Mielenhausen
New Bern, NC

Boat Name: Impromptu

Model/Year: C22 1985

Hull No. 13021

Hailing Port: Northwest Creek Marina
01/13/2004 5:45 PM Pacific Time

You might consider mounting an auxilary speaker for the fixed VHF in the cockpit area to better hear it. The obvious advantages of the fixed mount are that it can't fall overboard and is less likely to walk.
Bob Larkin
Corvallis, OR

Boat Name: New Wave

Model/Year: 1988 Wing

Hull No. 14710

Hailing Port: Fern Ridge, OR
01/14/2004 3:58 PM Pacific Time

Before buying a fixed radio, check how much 12 VDC current is drawn when in receive. This has gone up over the years, and some of them are 0.5Amp or so. My 15 year-old fixed draws about 0.1A and my hand held (running off 12V) is about 0.035 A. If you cruise, this is important, as 12 hours at 0.5 A is about 10% of the useful 24-size battery capacity. The hand held with the external power and antenna has the feature of cutting this by a factor of 10 or so.

Apparently the market addressed by fixed radio makers is not sailboats with 12V from a non-charged battery!

Bob
"New Wave" Corvallis, Or

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/15/2004 3:07 PM Pacific Time

I just bought a stationary uniden with a hand held attachment so you get the best of both worlds. I did not check the amp draw though. I probably is sucking the bottom out of my boat.
Kurt Green
Lake Villa, IL

Boat Name: Sharon Lee

Model/Year: C22 / 1973

Hull No. 2162

Hailing Port: Great Lakes, IL
01/15/2004 4:46 PM Pacific Time

I have both. I really like the potential range of the fixed mount, and the convenience of the HH.

Kurt Green
s/v Sharon Lee
C22 #2162 Great Lakes IL
http://hometown.aol.com/knights5/myhomepage/svsharonlee.html
Kevin M. Morton
Sacramento, Ca

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: 1976 C27SR

Hull No. 2366

Hailing Port: Richmond, Ca
09/26/2008 2:54 PM Pacific Time

I'm with Kurt on this one, for the following reasons: Some day, you may need 25 watts of output power from an antenna on top of a mast to have the range to call for help, and in the sad event that you have to ditch, it's great to carry your radio with you to direct that help to your position. If you can afford both, get 'em.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
09/27/2008 7:11 PM Pacific Time

I have a fixed VHFin the cabin with an auxillary speaker in the port coaming box out of the weather. Keep the battery power up with a 10 Watt solar power charger.
Larry
Pat Noonan
Fairhope, Al

Boat Name: Blue Dog

Model/Year: ?

Hull No. ?

Hailing Port: Fairhope, Al
10/05/2008 3:56 AM Pacific Time

I have two boats. Have owned my Columbia 8.7 for about 20 years and she is a fine cruising boat but couldn't race single handed anymore (age/mine not hers). Bought a C22 and want to race it but also want the safety feature of a radio. Worked out a Nav Bag with charts, tools, radio, chart plotter/sounder etc that can be transported between boats as needed. The Handheld is primary on the C22 and the Fixed on the Columbia but either can go to the other boat. There are some interesting new radios out there with weather and auto locate for those in peril.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
12/07/2010 11:18 AM Pacific Time

I know this message posting is old but a couple of good things about having both.
The hand held can be a backup and visa-versa.
The hand held is useful when directing boats to docksite.In large marinas I have the crew take the radio to the slip and direct me or others in.
I have loaned the hh to another boat the forgot one or theirs broke.
The list could go on. Get a hh that floats if possible. An hh at 80 ft down has little purpose.

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Handheld vs Fixed VHF