Mooring / Docking

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / Lowering Mast While Underway

Author Lowering Mast While Underway
Robert Leach

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/13/2005 2:55 PM Pacific Time

Hi folks!

I'm moving my boat to Portage, Indiana so I can sail on Lake Michigan. A local marina has slips available. One catch. There are 3 bridges I must go under and I need to be able to lower my mast to a 45 degree angle to pass under the bridges while underway.

Anybody doing that now? I need to consider stablizing the mast at an angle while motoring out the channel to L. Michigan. I'm thinking it would be best to have some pole to rest the mast on until I'm clear of the brigdes. Any ideas?

Thanks for your input!

Robert
www.sailexcess.com
www.leachs.com
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/14/2005 6:08 AM Pacific Time

Robert - Check the Mast Raising kit from CD. (Page 4.3.1) Using it and a Mast Up, looks like the answer to your problem.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
05/15/2005 7:20 AM Pacific Time

I'm not sure, but I think the mast crutch and Mast Up! systems use the rudder gudgeons on the transom as a base.

If so, installing a second set of gudgeons to one side of center would give you a place to use the Mast Up! without having to pull the rudder out.

Just a thought...
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
05/15/2005 4:50 PM Pacific Time

Robert, you might give some thought to the method used by boats in Huntington Harbor to get in and out of their Harbor. To do this they must pass under the highway. They lower the mast forwards to about 30 degrees from horizonal. Use the boom as a gin pole and the main sheet as the block and tackle and releasing the back stay and back lowers. Doing some sleuth work like contacting an owner by contacting Seal beach yacht club or Alamitos Bay yacht club to see if one of their members sail out of there may give you more info. as if they need stabilizers on the gin pole or not. LOL, Dick.

Mooring / Docking
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / Lowering Mast While Underway