Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Bimini Top

Author Bimini Top
Rick Lobalzo
Akron, Ohio

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: C27/1989

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Sandusky Bay
05/15/2005 3:43 AM Pacific Time

I just bought a bimini off of Catalina direct. After putting it together I don't see how its going to work. When you have it in the closed position it cuts the cockpit in half. Has anyone ever installed one of these and if so were did you mount it at?
Thanks
Rick Lobalzo C22 #14287
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
05/16/2005 5:19 AM Pacific Time

Rick, I passed along your question to my C-22 discussion list, and just got the response below. I hope it helps.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel #3282 "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com

I'm really busy right now and can't go into much detail, but I had the same problem installing the CD Bimini 3 seasons ago. I use the Bimini all the time.

I finally installed it reverse wise and bought a pair of adjustable poles to set the forward arch at an appropriate height instead of using straps. The main arch pivots are on top of the coaming just forward of the winch. I also drilled the forward arch sides for 3/16" push clevis for adjusting the length of the forward arch (a real pain to do if you have the SS arches).

The rear arch hold down straps connect to the stern pulpit on each side near the gates. When the Bimini is open, the rear arch almost touches the split backstay and the forward (originally the rear) arch covers about 1/3 of the open companionway.

To enter the boat for my customers, I retract the bimini forward by releasing the 2 rear hold down straps and folding the Bimini forward. I also go forward over the collapsed Bimini to take off the forward portions of the mainsail cover and to release the bow lines. As soon as I'm underway, I pull the Bimini cover back and protect my clients from any intense sun.

Captain Miles Ashley
Hull # 940 - Swing Keel
'72 C-22 Dragonass
Chincoteague Island, VA

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Bimini Top