Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Kick-up rudder difficult to kick-up

Author Kick-up rudder difficult to kick-up
Jim N
Manahawkin

Boat Name: Top Nic

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1977

Hull No. 6821

Hailing Port: Barnegat, NJ
05/16/2005 11:00 AM Pacific Time

The kick-up rudder on my 77 C22 is very difficult to kick-up, in fact I think the only way it will kick-up is if I hit ground. When I loosen the tension arm (not sure what the proper name is) the two alluminum plates that encase the rudder do not even budge. I am guessing that the bolt that the tension arm attaches to is Stanless Steel and has bonded with the alluminum plates.

I have tried using penetrating oil and brute force to loosen the two plates to no avail. Does anyone have any advise on how to loosen this up so I can kick-up my rudder?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
05/16/2005 2:34 PM Pacific Time

Jim, I had that problem once. The flanges and bolt seemed to get locked up. What I did was unscrew the tightening handle, replace it with a nut screwed on until the screw thread ALMOST came out the end of the nut, then wack the nut real hard with a big hammer to drive the bolt out. Once the head of the bolt was out, I could move all the parts and I just reassembled it. Its been fine for 4 or 5 years now.
Jim N
Manahawkin

Hull No. 6821

05/16/2005 7:50 PM Pacific Time

Thanks, that broke the seal, the rudder know kicks up with ease. I could not get the bolt out, but it did free up and I will see if I can get this thing apart tomorrow.

Right now I have a new problem, I can not really tighten the kick-up rudder enough to keep it down when at sail, I am guessing this is related to the fact that I can not get this thing apart, it is not just right yet?

Can I assume that when (if) I can get this thing apart, and clean it up, it will work OK as far as being able to hand tighten the rudder in the down position?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
05/17/2005 4:56 PM Pacific Time

If you are tightening the hand lever hard and it still kicks up, something is preventing the tightening force from squeezing the rudder blade. There is a washer shaped bump in one of the metal side pieces that has to fit into a hole in the rudder housing. Any chance it rotated slightly and is cocking the assembly? If not, I'd use penetrating oil, get the bolt out, clean things up, and reassemble.
Jim N
Manahawkin

Hull No. 6821

05/22/2005 6:19 PM Pacific Time

Mike,

Used some penetrating oil, got the bolt out. Turns out there was alot of salt and corrosion, plust the bolt was a little bent on the end that the handle goes on.

I tool everything apart and cleaned it real good, also got a new stanless bolt, it is a little longe but works O.K. The kick up rudder now works fine.

Thanks.
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
09/25/2005 9:48 AM Pacific Time

Mine is also a kick up style rudder but when I took it apart to replace a broken screw, I found a piece of rubber gasket between the plates. It seems that this is what is keeping it from kicking up. It is supposed to be there?
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
09/25/2005 12:38 PM Pacific Time

That advice re putting a nut on end of bolt to pound and loosen it from the aluminum disks was just right for me. My rudder has been popping back a little almost at once when underway. I took it apart today, using that that bolt removal method, cleaned out a lot of debris, corrosion and put it back together. It seems to lock in place now. The test will be when I put it on the boat and sail.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/26/2005 5:03 AM Pacific Time

I've done a lot of work on Chip Ahoy's rudder and housing. You can see it at:

http://www.chipford.com/rudder.htm
http://www.chipford.com/rudder_lift.htm

Hope this helps, or provides some ideas. What I've done has worked great, though as I note there, is perhaps somewhat overkill that'd I do a second time differently.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com

John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
09/29/2005 11:56 AM Pacific Time

George,

I've got an '82 and had the same rubber gasket on both sides of the rudder. I took it out and used silicone instead.

John

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Kick-up rudder difficult to kick-up