Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Placement of Running rigging

Author Placement of Running rigging
Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
05/17/2005 2:35 PM Pacific Time

I have recently replaced my running rigging. I am now about to re-connect the shrouds to the chainplates. I am not sure which goes where.

On the deck, along side of the cabin are three chain plates. Am I correct in believing that:

The forward lower shroud connects to the forward chainplate;

The upper shroud connects to the middle chainplate; and

The rear lower shroud connects to the rear chainplate?

Also, any thoughts on tensioning the mast correctly?

Thanks,

Vic
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
05/17/2005 3:13 PM Pacific Time

Vic, you are correct. Just make sure the eyelets are in line with the mast as the shrouds are.

Peter
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/18/2005 4:12 AM Pacific Time

Vic - Join the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association and order the Tech Manual. It is money well spent. There are several articles on mast tuning.

Go to http://catalina22.org/. You can sign up and order online.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/18/2005 4:16 AM Pacific Time

Vic- By the way, the shrouds and stays that you replaced are called standing rigging. Sail controls (sheets and halyards are running rigging.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/18/2005 5:27 PM Pacific Time

I just got the paper work on 6448, built in '76, and a one owner boat. Amongst the papers Dave included two copies of the MainBrace, the summer of 1976 issue. In it is the first article by Tom Winans, '73 National champion and first commodore of the Cat 22 Assoc. His first article was on mast tuning. He notes that the upper shroud chain plates are 4" forward of the base of the mast, and if the mast in in column, then the spreaders tend to push the mast aft when under tension. To correct this the mast must be bowed forward so the spreaders are pushing straight into the mast, since they are swept aft about 2" at the tips. Of all the reasons for bending the mast I think that is the most logical yet.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Andy
Pagosa Springs, CO

Boat Name: Milagro

Model/Year: ?

Hull No. ?

Hailing Port: Navajo Lake
12/06/2020 5:08 PM Pacific Time

I was just reading the entries into this discussion and was wondering If anyone still owns a Catalina? Does anyone read this anymore?
Robert J Zehren
Las Vegas

Boat Name: undecided

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Callville Bay NV
12/06/2020 5:08 PM Pacific Time

I was just reading the entries into this discussion and was wondering If anyone still owns a Catalina? Does anyone read this anymore?

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Placement of Running rigging