Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Multiple battery locations and options?

Author Multiple battery locations and options?
Robert Thomas
Wakefield, RI

Boat Name: Nautigirl

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: QDNYC, N. Kingstown, RI
05/27/2005 8:23 PM Pacific Time

Considering adding a second battery and maybe relocating the original as well. I see some folks here have as many as 4 batteries and some use group 27's. Where do you put them? How are they mounted? Thanks, RT
Jim Fletcher
Weare, N.H.

Boat Name: Sweet Misery

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1988

Hull No. 14319

Hailing Port:
07/03/2005 7:23 AM Pacific Time

Has anybody built a battery holder or moved the battery location on early model catalina 22 prior to 1980. Looking to receive information for a friend.
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
07/03/2005 3:01 PM Pacific Time

Jim,

I moved the battery forward into the v-berth on my '79. There are two accesses. One is lined, the other is open to the hull. I used the open one. I epoxied a peice of wood to the hull, then attached a battery box with screws. I also attached the strap retainers that come with the battery box. The batter sets in the box and the stap holds it all together. It centers the weight and moves it forward. I ran the battery wire aft along the side between the internal lineing and the hull. I also added a fuse at the battery just in case of a short.

Bob

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/04/2005 4:11 AM Pacific Time

Go to:
"Upgrade, Repair, Restoration and Refinishing Projects"
http://chipford.com/projects.htm

Scroll down to and click on:
"Installing a Second Battery and Four-Way Switch"

Hope this helps and answers most of your questions.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/20/2006 11:46 AM Pacific Time

Chip, you did yours the same way that I put a second battery in Magnificat. A little skill with fiberglass resin and matt goes a long way. I am looking into adding a solar charger to my system and think that the best way to do that is to get a flexible one and lay it on top of the bimini during the day. I am struggling with this if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks,

Greg
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
01/07/2011 12:07 PM Pacific Time

My 1986 C22 did not have a cooler for the companionway step. After shopping for a couiple of weeks with no luck I decided to move the battery from the starboard hatch in the stern to the coolers location. I put a piece of plywood the hieght of the seat in front of the winch with room for 2 group 27s side by side. Then I made a lid hinged to the winch cover. Now there is room for the 2 batteries, a switch, an inverter and a charger in the same space as the cooler used. The stepdown is much more stable. Battery access is way better. Boat balance is better. Cooler is under the vberth.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Multiple battery locations and options?